Property names.

Miserableolgit

Asking for a friend....

The scenario is as follows: Some old barns that that were part of a small farm [Farm A] were auctioned off and bought by a local farmer [farmer X] - the proceeds going to the only surviving family member still living at the farm from which the barns were sold [Farm A]. Farmer [ X ] ran a small business sited near the old barns - the business address was that of his own farm about half a mile away.
A few years later the owner of the farmhouse and land [Farm A] dies, the executor of the estate previously appointed is a solicitor. Said farmhouse and a parcel of land was eventually sold, the house retaining its long established [ie centuries] name.
A few years later the remainder of the land that once made up Farm A was sold at auction to another farmer [but associated with Farmer X], the proceeds of both sales minus costs were donated to animal charities.
Some years later the farmer who runs the small business [Farmer X] quite out of the blue adopts the name of the original farmhouse for his business. As both the original farmhouse and land [Farm A] and the small business belonging to Farmer X are in relatively close proximity, and as this business address does not have a postal delivery point, mail is delivered to the original farmhouse  [Farm A] which is both a nuisance and inconvenience presumably to both but certainly to the owner of Farm A who receives unwanted mail and callers for the small business.

Where does the owner of the farmhouse [Farm A] stand with regard to the small business using the historic name of the farm?

I might add that the small business owner has not been entirely helpful when queried about the use of the name or suggestion that adopting a different name would minimise inconvenience with regard to wrongly addressed deliveries & caller.

Clear as mud right?! In brief the owner of a small business has adopted the name of an original farm despite that name being attached to a pre existing farmhouse and attached parcel of land for centuries. Owner of the farmhouse is miffed at receiving incorrectly delivered mail and unwanted callers.

Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Asking for a friend....

The scenario is as follows: Some old barns that that were part of a small farm [Farm A] were auctioned off and bought by a local farmer [farmer X] - the proceeds going to the only surviving family member still living at the farm from which the barns were sold [Farm A]. Farmer [ X ] ran a small business sited near the old barns - the business address was that of his own farm about half a mile away.
A few years later the owner of the farmhouse and land [Farm A] dies, the executor of the estate previously appointed is a solicitor. Said farmhouse and a parcel of land was eventually sold, the house retaining its long established [ie centuries] name.
A few years later the remainder of the land that once made up Farm A was sold at auction to another farmer [but associated with Farmer X], the proceeds of both sales minus costs were donated to animal charities.
Some years later the farmer who runs the small business [Farmer X] quite out of the blue adopts the name of the original farmhouse for his business. As both the original farmhouse and land [Farm A] and the small business belonging to Farmer X are in relatively close proximity, and as this business address does not have a postal delivery point, mail is delivered to the original farmhouse  [Farm A] which is both a nuisance and inconvenience presumably to both but certainly to the owner of Farm A who receives unwanted mail and callers for the small business.

Where does the owner of the farmhouse [Farm A] stand with regard to the small business using the historic name of the farm?

I might add that the small business owner has not been entirely helpful when queried about the use of the name or suggestion that adopting a different name would minimise inconvenience with regard to wrongly addressed deliveries & caller.

Clear as mud right?! In brief the owner of a small business has adopted the name of an original farm despite that name being attached to a pre existing farmhouse and attached parcel of land for centuries. Owner of the farmhouse is miffed at receiving incorrectly delivered mail and unwanted callers.

Any thoughts?

big sign at the gate to the farm saying, something on the lines of "deliveries for anything other than is required for this farm can EFF OFF" 👍

And what of the Royal Oak public house in Mareham-le-Fen (once ran by my late Grandmother) being told by the Royal Oak somewhere in Lancashire that it couldn't use the same name? Well of course that conversation never happened but I think it makes the point. King's Head, Red Lion, The Crown, any number of public houses have the same name often in neighbouring villages.

Anyone can call any place anything they like. My late mother once had a problem with people calling her telephone having confused her number with Mertrux a Mercedes truck business. After a few times of politely explaining it was a wring number I took over and simply told them that Mr X or Mr Y or this department or that department wasn't able to take calls and the caller would have to telephone back on Thursday week. Surprise surprise the calls stopped.

Now to the OP's query. The answer is simple and it is also legal and lawful. Have rubber stamp made, or print you own sticky labels, saying

PERSON UNKNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS

RETURN TO SENDER

Stamp this in the front of the envelope, or ditto with the home printed sticker, and when convenient drop them in the nearest Royal Mail posting box or over the counter of a convenient post office. I guarantee that the address will be corrected pronto. As to the unwanted callers a simple "I am sorry I cannot help you there is no such person or no such business at this address" and don't volunteer any further information at all or any alternative location. Again it'll stop pretty soon.

29 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Return incorrectly delivered mail to PO for free not known at this address return to sender.

What he says.

Edited by enfieldspares

I have seen similar with signs near the mail point saying this is XYZ Farm and is not connected with XYZ ltd, no mail or callers. 

I wouldn’t return to sender immediately I would keep it in a box outside before dumping all in a post box stamped unknown at this address this is not the base for XYZ. 
im sure after a few missed payment reminders, components or cheques there will be a change.