H&n slugs 10 grain .177

GingerCat

In the 2nd half of this video Simom6PPC seems to get on well with the Zans in .177 sub 12. I'm happy with my existing pellets but I've ordered a couple of trial packs of the Zans just to see if they work.

I'll update after trying them.

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

I was curious as the h&n were 10.5 gr so not a lot heavier than some pellets, not sure if im 20 quid curious but I might be. 

What are you hoping they'll do that pellets can't? Jsb heavy do everything I want.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

What are you hoping they'll do that pellets can't? Jsb heavy do everything I want.

So this is exactly it .

A jsb heavy around 10.3 grns with  bc of around 0.03 that will probably be super accurate  at range and carry plenty of retained energy .

A 10 .5 grn slug that probably won't sit well in your mag (fall out, into the action  - yes )  and not probe well into the breech .May have an initial good bc but as it yaws and rolls loses that bc quickly at range and accuracy drops off . Total bc will be lower than that of the pellet . They don't expand at sub 12  at all .hell they don't expand at fac either .

More expensive  harder to get hold of  .much less consistent than pellets  - and supreme  consistency  is the key for repeatable  accuracy. 

I gave up  . 

but please try and report back I know there are some people who love slugs even at sub 12 .and if you can get one that really suit your barrel - buy loads  the bc can be impressive if they don't lose it past 30 yds  (which is where a slug "  should " have its advantage  if it falls apart past 30 yds compared to a pellet then seriously  don't bother .

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Not a lot, just curious. It's normal diet is 8.4 gr jsb or superfields, easy thumbnail groups at 45 yards, sometimes a little tighter,  wondered if the slugs would stretch it out a little or tighten the groups, maybe deform better, as I say, just curious and as I'm surrounded by some curious sorts on pw i figured others may have tried it before me. 

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Not a lot, just curious. It's normal diet is 8.4 gr jsb or superfields, easy thumbnail groups at 45 yards, sometimes a little tighter,  wondered if the slugs would stretch it out a little or tighten the groups, maybe deform better, as I say, just curious and as I'm surrounded by some curious sorts on pw i figured others may have tried it before me. 

Fair play, nothing wrong with being curious. 

Most things I've read on slugs bang on about shooting a 25mtrs in sub 12, the only one I remember reading that seemed to work for me was an electronic Daystate because the bloke could lift the fps to get them going fast enough without messing around.

Shooting nice tight groups at 45 yards I'd say your already performing spot on 👍heavies might tighten things up a touch for you.

• 2 months later...

Well I bought some jsb slugs .177 in 10g flavour. Same weight as the jsb heavy the ultra se loves. And I mean loves. 

As an example the heavies will group around the size of my finger nail at 40m from a bipod. At 20m they tend to just make a slightly larger than pellet sized hole. 

The slugs as predicted don't like the mag, they don't hate it either and do function but a single shot tray would be better. Grouping wise the jury is out, thru the mag they are about half inch to 3/4 at 40m so considerably bigger grouping than the heavies but usable, putting one in the mag at a time they are slightly tighter. Not really conclusive as I only put 60 down the range before rain and dinner stopped play. I will say the holes they punch are like flat heads and very small. 

Enough time to poke some into a piece of 3x3 and compare to the pellets. They seem to penetrate about the same, when fired at a metal target plate they flattened out like crazy, far more than the heavies. The lead seems softer overall, particularly around the skirt. They impact about the same poi but slightly to the right.  A little more time and a single shot tray  will tell.