where to place decoys?

Hello All

I am new to pigeon shooting, I've ordered some books and am still waiting for them to arrive. I live on a large estate where there is much game present and also thousands of pigeons which use our Woods and hedgerows to roost. I am really not sure in what way I should start pigeon shooting on my land. I have heard that decoying in is an effective method of pigeon shooting but I have no crops on my land so the pigeons do not feed here, when decoying is it necessary to use a field where the pigeons are feeding or will any field do?

It is rare to walk outside my house without seeing a pigeon flying overhead, and there are some very good pigeon flight paths going over my land, so I think flighting and roost shooting will bring me many hours of shooting joy and excitement. But I'm really not sure how to go about it :lol: , I would like to try decoying but since the pigeons do not feed on my land,is it possible?

Hopefully the books I ordered will arrive soon,any advice is very much appreciated

Thank you very much :P

Hello All

I am new to pigeon shooting, I've ordered some books and am still waiting for them to arrive. I live on a large estate where there is much game present and also thousands of pigeons which use our Woods and hedgerows to roost. I am really not sure in what way I should start pigeon shooting on my land. I have heard that decoying in is an effective method of pigeon shooting but I have no crops on my land so the pigeons do not feed here, when decoying is it necessary to use a field where the pigeons are feeding or will any field do?

It is rare to walk outside my house without seeing a pigeon flying overhead, and there are some very good pigeon flight paths going over my land, so I think flighting and roost shooting will bring me many hours of shooting joy and excitement. But I'm really not sure how to go about it :lol: , I would like to try decoying but since the pigeons do not feed on my land,is it possible?

Hopefully the books I ordered will arrive soon,any advice is very much appreciated

Thank you very much :P

fill out your profile it will help :)

now then a good flight path is as good as the feeding field and can amount to a good bag of birds .

if you where close to me i would come to give you advice leaving guns at home :)

to watch someone new learn is all the payment anybody who loves the sport would expect .

ps, do not shoot the roost woods till the seasons finished or you will get in trouble .

I am in a similar position.my shooting is on a farm with livestock only.Woodpigeon flight lines are haphazard.I can see where they roost but its on the neighbouring farm.You can only play the hand you.re dealt really.I take what is around at the time,some of my best days have seen me return with a full cartridge belt (he said ,desperately).Admit that fox is my ultimate quarry,but love to shoot magpie and squirrel too.Sounds to me like your estate has loads of potential.I tried decoying in a field full of sheep,it did actually get some woodies to have a look but not land,of course.You live and learn!Welcome to the site.

Try looking HERE(clicky) this shows many methods of setting up decoys. You will notice that at times through the year, Woodpigeon will feast under oak and beech trees as well as feeding on chickweed and other nutritious weeds that are usually in non-arable areas.

Best of luck with your shooting, if you were nearer I`d offer to show you the ropes :good:

Hi.

I fully sympathise! i'm going through a lean patch at the moment, more down to my skills than the pigeon!

I've got a permission on a mate's livestock farm and can understand your dilemma. For what it's worth, last spring I had a few cracking days decoying on to clover on his place. The pigeons were hitting it like there was nothing else for miles! coming in to the patterns before I'd got back in to the hide almost!! So, I know it's only November but keep in mind for next spring the clover, it may work if they haven't got a better choice close by.

good luck. Pete b

• 2 months later...
Hello All

Thank you very much :D

youwillfind that they will feed heavily on chick weed and clover and will decoy succesfuly also in hot weather keep eye on watering holes [drinking troughs etc flight lining good have a look around in high winds fly under cover of hills hedges etc

Hello All

Thank you very much :D

hi,if shooting on land with livestock,use bio-degradable wads,,,,plas wads can be swallowed by livestock causin harm. :) luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i've been roost shooting for a couple of years in some derelict bans that I have a permission on and I shoot them off the roofs as well but they aren't so stupid now, just as I had got their numbers down they all popped up again :good: and they aren't as dumb as last time. Does anyone have any advice on decoying without crops as I live in cumbria and not many people grow crops. I am using an airgun and have a thread in the airgunners section asking for advice on kit but have had no replies, can someone help please :P

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ferretman, where do you construct your hide if shooting on an open fiel. I am shooting there cause I know that they drink from there and feed on some hay on the ground. I am planning on buying some camo netting and decoys (10 if I manage to get some s/h if new 5 at first then another 5 if all goes well) I also have some deerhunter camo that I am hoping to use.

Many thanks HSH :yes:

Edited by HeadShotHoncho

When setting up on any field, it is easier to place a hide on the boundary near ,or against natural cover like hedges, brambles, bushes, etc.

If there are any trees in the field, they can be utilised.

If you have a wide open field with no cover on the boundaries, then it becomes more difficult.

I have been able to place straw bales in some fields (with the farmers cooperation) and they can stay there and the birds get use to them.

Farm equipment left near the field, trailers, ploughs, drills etc., can be utilised and string a net off them.

Just putting a "day" hide up in the middle of a field has not been very successful for me.