Books on birdwatching

PeterHenry

Can anyone recommend a good one for wildfowl, shorebirds, waders etc?

Having bought a decent (old) pair of binoculars, I thought I may as well add some extra value to my walks along the beach?

I know wildfowling and bird watching aren't mutually exclusive activities by any means, so hoping for some recommendations?

I did do a quick search on Amazon, but the first book that came up was 'Chris Packhams birdwatching guide' - which rarther dissuaded me from looking any further....

3 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Perfect - just bought myself a copy 👍

Totally agree, I have got the collins app on my phone and ipad which has video and individual audio bird song identification aswell 

Be warned... there are two Collins guides out there! There's one with photographs, which is the above one made in conjunction with the BTO, and there's one with detailed prints/sketches (below). The vast majority of birders, myself included, go for the latter. It has more detailed images across different ages and both sexes. The maps are easier to read too. I have the BTO Collins one and it's good, but its wheel of sightings probability is rather elaborate and the population maps are not easy to get to grips with quickly. In a way they're more accurate, because they're based on specific data rather than a generalised assessment, but the maps aren't user friendly. Where it EXCELS is the bit that no one bothers to read (save the geeks like me!). The beginning is stuffed full of really useful tips and tricks on how to birdwatch, not just what you're looking at. It teaches you far more about fieldcraft, but is somewhat let down as a field guide. The app @yatesmight be referring to is the same as the below one. Again I have it and it's very good indeed. Hope that helps! 

image.png.dd615e09f742b52b1bf963d35904c9b5.png

Collins Bird Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Svensson, Lars, Mullarney, Killian, Zetterström, Dan: 9780008547462: Books

42 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Be warned... there are two Collins guides out there! There's one with photographs, which is the above one made in conjunction with the BTO, and there's one with detailed prints/sketches (below). The vast majority of birders, myself included, go for the latter. It has more detailed images across different ages and both sexes. The maps are easier to read too. I have the BTO Collins one and it's good, but its wheel of sightings probability is rather elaborate and the population maps are not easy to get to grips with quickly. In a way they're more accurate, because they're based on specific data rather than a generalised assessment, but the maps aren't user friendly. Where it EXCELS is the bit that no one bothers to read (save the geeks like me!). The beginning is stuffed full of really useful tips and tricks on how to birdwatch, not just what you're looking at. It teaches you far more about fieldcraft, but is somewhat let down as a field guide. The app @yatesmight be referring to is the same as the below one. Again I have it and it's very good indeed. Hope that helps! 

Collins Bird Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Svensson, Lars, Mullarney, Killian, Zetterström, Dan: 9780008547462: Books

Thanks - I hadn't noticed that. I've ordered the other one, so I shall see how I get along with it first 👍

On 12/03/2024 at 18:09, chrisjpainter said:

I have (an earlier edition of) the one you pictured.  It is a very good and comprehensive book - but I do find it a little 'overkill' in that there are a LOT of birds not seen in the UK.  My copy (around 20 years old) has been invaluable, but I too now use a phone App.

DE7E2F8F-968E-46A3-9320-96F2ACCA4D0B_1_201_a.jpeg