Mustard Powder - Help Ditchman

ph5172

@ditchmani have been trying out the old mustard powder. 

all fine when adding it to the mashed pots and such but… I just can’t get the consistency right

i have tried it with and without a splash if vinegar  

I’m aiming for the same as the jar version. 
Tried equal powder and water and variations of. 

i feel the need to state I probably use 1/3 of a jar with the average roast or sausage and mash combo. 

Mustard isn't just ground mustard flour though is it? Colman's ingredients list that as just 21%, with sugar, salt, wheat flour and turmeric along with xanthen gum for a thickener. There is citiric acid too but a bit of lemon should serve. Or vinegar, like the Tesco recipe uses. 

Reverse engineering the list, in a 100g jar it will be 21g of mustard powder and I'd start with 50ml of water, adding more if you need to. You could work out the sugar, salt and turmeric bit by personal preference. It can't have much turmeric in if it's listed after salt. Then add a bit more water if you need.

I think you need to forget trying to end up with a clone of the 'ready made' variety - and just develop a way of enjoying the powdered variety.

I (sometimes) use powdered made up because it isn't the same as ready made.  To me, freshly made up from powder gives a hotter product with a different taste.   I usually use just a little tap water to make quite a thick paste.  I have always thought (just a guess) that the 'heat' is released by the water, and declines with time, hence freshly made up is nicer.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think you need to forget trying to end up with a clone of the 'ready made' variety - and just develop a way of enjoying the powdered variety.

I (sometimes) use powdered made up because it isn't the same as ready made.  To me, freshly made up from powder gives a hotter product with a different taste.   I usually use just a little tap water to make quite a thick paste.  I have always thought (just a guess) that the 'heat' is released by the water, and declines with time, hence freshly made up is nicer.

this...........if you add vinegar ...only a few drops...