Foreign muck again

ditchman

I also had a curry last night;

image.jpeg.a7dffee12e2650bfd48416b402eee8c9.jpeg

M&S fiery hot chicken tikka masala (a new one and very nice), pilau rice (homemade with Schwarz pilau spices), Indian cauliflower and peppers (homemade), beef koftas (homemade), onion bhaji (M&S), black dal (homemade).

Onion bhaji's are almost impossible to make at home, I've wasted many hours trying to emulate our local takeaways versions, it's a skill I simply cannot master, I can get near the taste but our favourite Indian makes them the size of a Tennis Ball????

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Onion bhaji's are almost impossible to make at home, I've wasted many hours trying to emulate our local takeaways versions, it's a skill I simply cannot master, I can get near the taste but our favourite Indian makes them the size of a Tennis Ball????

I have made them (to my satisfaction anyway), but it's quite hard work. The 'problems' are;

• Peeling and slicing the onions (you need a lot) is tedious - a bit easier with a slicing disc in a food processor, but still a lot of work.
  • The batter mix is incredibly sticky and it makes them very hard to work with, but if you make it too thin, they won't hold together when frying
  • I make mine quite small and 'flatish', being about 2" in diameter and maybe an inch thick.  Bigger - and the centre doesn't cook fully, or the outer gets too hard.  Smaller is OK, but need careful watching
  • Mine are nice fresh, but don't freeze all that well - they are OK, but need just the right cooking afterwards to get crisp outers and can easily go dry and tough.
  • The washing up of the batter covered utensils is really tedious as it sticks like the proverbial does to a blanket.
  • You have to deep fry them and stand over it watching like a hawk and I don't often deep fry, so often needs fresh oil - and so is expensive. I find deep frying needs very careful on temperature to have the oil as hot as safely possible

In view of the above which is an awful faff for a few bhajis - I buy M&S (or equivalent) which are OK - and freeze - drawing out one or two at a time as needed.  I am the same with samosas, thought I have had some really delicious home made ones (made by a colleagues wife and brought into the office years ago).

IF you do make them, on the plus side you can add spice/chilli/black pepper to the batter, and strips off sweet peppers to the onions, and you can also do other things (i do cauliflower florets) in the same batter.

55 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

i came to the same conclusion....thats why i buy mine......they are often on the "eat now or die shelf"...so i buy them and freeze them...same with spring rolls