This thing called LEAD...........

Calamity Jane

This Lead thing...................

I don't do this lead thing. If someone says give it more lead, I go extreme and shoot miles in front. Once I start to analyse, look at the angle, told to shoot above it, in front of it, to the right or left of it. I MISS THE DAM THING. If I however rely on my swing and give it more for fast/far out crosses it all OK - well sometimes.

Women apparently find it hard to work out lead especially in sporting because of the variety of angles, not so with Trap because a set sequence etc. I am interested in other views.........

Calamity

'This LEAD thing...'

Lead is by far the best material to use in shotshells! Much better than steel. :blink:

You hit the clays by shooting 'where they are going - not where they have been'

It's all about vectors, swing, shot string and experience!

Just havin' a loff!

Yes someone else said that Lead is better than Steel, however I once shot some claybusters on Double Rise and I am convinced they had fairy dust as a complete waste of time!

What is a Vector - or am I having a pink moment :good: :unsure:

CJ

I often shoot with my other 1/2 most of the time she shoots sporting better than me !! did i just say that !!! wth

Any way i often ask where she placed the shot !!

she has no idea !! clueless she could not possibly tell me if i was to pay her ,,, so in my opinion a man telling a lady where to shoot and what lead is is totally pointless not being sexist in the slightest but come on !!!

However this months nov /dec BASC magazine says a clay @ 20 yards 3 feet , 5-6 feet @ 30 yards and 8-10 feet @ 40yards on a true crossing bird

good luck its trial and error on the whole lol

I often shoot with my other 1/2 most of the time she shoots sporting better than me !! did i just say that !!! wth

Any way i often ask where she placed the shot !!

she has no idea !! clueless she could not possibly tell me if i was to pay her ,,, so in my opinion a man telling a lady where to shoot and what lead is is totally pointless not being sexist in the slightest but come on !!!

good luck its trial and error on the whole lol

Good I am glad its not just me then....If I am asked how much lead .... I just look vague (more than normal, you know that pink look)..... and just say well a bit I suppose!

However this months nov /dec BASC magazine says a clay @ 20 yards 3 feet 5-6 feet @ 30 and 8-10 @ 40yards on a true crossing bird This sounds like my worst nightmare, I think if someone said to shot a target with these stats, I think I would look at them very vague and start to file my nails or something..... :good:

Please don't apologise for being sexist, men cannot help it - oppss sorry was that sexist! Men cannot multitask - opps another one, sorry ....... :unsure:

Guest The Outlaw

I have helped Calam over the last few years.

The only way I can get her to hit them is by smoke trailing.

I explained

1. My space invader way of lead.

2. Clay in the middle of the clock face.

3. Paint a line under it.

4. Shoot its legs off.

5. Left leg right leg beak up its bum.

6. Now its see it, shoot it, and swing, work harder, want it.

Tony

I have helped Calam over the last few years.

The only way I can get her to hit them is by smoke trailing.

I explained

1. My space invader way of lead.

2. Clay in the middle of the clock face.

3. Paint a line under it.

4. Shoot its legs off.

5. Left leg right leg beak up its bum.

6. Now its see it, shoot it, and swing, work harder, want it.

Tony

Its true and he speaks my language! - has been a great help to me and also a fantastic coach! Now about that shopping trip ...........

Seriously he is a fantastic coach and is a great advocate to help other girlies in the shooting world.

CJ

I find it difficult to estimate distance for crossers, I am ok on a skeet range as it is fixed distance but sporting .............. I miss a lot of crossers still, I have tried the on the front edge of clay, pull trigger as swinging through, I have tried spot shooting a pre determined amount in front of the clay and I have tried bum, belly, beak, bang. I would like to try some tracer cartridges so I can see for myself exactly where I am going as you get all sorts of feedback from your shooting mates, missed behind, over the top seems to be the 2 most commonm my mate said last week I am thinking and analyzing a clay too long before shooting it, I dont have a problem shooting crossing rabbit though so I must be shooting over the top more than I think.

My problem (Among Many others) is that I tend to chase the Clay, and then stop the swing of the barrells.....

I have to realy concerntrate to push the barrells pass the clay before firing..

It just feels unnatural not to shoot at the clay....But im getting there.

Another of my probs is that the more time i have on the clay the more i try to measure....and miss

Quick birds i just flash pass them and fire without thinking about it, but those slow birds..AAHHHHHH

But at least i know what im doing so i can correct it, with plenty of practise

A very complicated topic and one I do know something about as a mate and I discovered a few years back...everyone sees lead differently, some see it in inches, some in feet and some in yards or mm, cms, m for those born more recently. :good: There's also the complication that some see lead from the end of the barrels and some from the target. The correct way (if it can be called correct 'cause there're plenty who will say differently) is to see lead from the target BUT if you see it differently and can hit things then so what!

There's a very good article on the subject in this months BASC mag but I bet if I tried using that formula I'd miss more than I hit.

IMO it's best you learn where and why you missed a target then you can correct yourself. I would say that the most common problem with poor shots is their inability (or denial) to know where they are missing.

Women apparently find it hard to work out lead especially in sporting because of the variety of angles, not so with Trap because a set sequence etc. I am interested in other views.........

Calamity[/color]

Women find it harder? Is this just not an excuse. Practise makes perfect. Charlotte Kerwood doesn't have issues with lead because she is a woman! She just works it out for herself.

Women always tell us how good they are at driving. So their perception should be better than men's. So you should be able to work out lead much better than us boys!

Calamity[/color]

Women find it harder? Is this just not an excuse. Practise makes perfect. Charlotte Kerwood doesn't have issues with lead because she is a woman! She just works it out for herself.

Women always tell us how good they are at driving. So their perception should be better than men's. So you should be able to work out lead much better than us boys!

I do obviously do lead but not to the point that I consious with it and if I start to think (dangerous :angry: ). I go extreme and shoot miles in front. I use my swing and just swing a bit harder if it needs lead as mentioned before etc.

I am a **** driver as well :unsure: :unsure: :good: - only joking!

Calamity[/color]

I do obviously do lead but not to the point that I consious with it and if I start to think (dangerous :unsure: ). I go extreme and shoot miles in front. I use my swing and just swing a bit harder if it needs lead as mentioned before etc.

I am a **** driver as well :unsure: :good::no: - only joking!

Don't you ever worry for your safety when in the company of people with guns? :angry:

Guest The Outlaw
its all about trigonometry :lol:

Yes, I find this little sum is helpful when faced with a long crosser :

equation3rz1.gif

Innit :lol: :lol: ;):good:

Love it :lol: :lol: :/

That would do her up like a kipper on the stand with her calculator.

Tony