MTC Copperhead F2 scope

26 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

First impressions of the scope, very nice! 

Same here. I'm having a hell of a job trying to zero it though. I'm trying with a collimator first, as I've done 99% of the time with all of my scopes. Looking through the scope at the collimator, it's a hell of a way out (high/low) to the collimator centre. I've altered the adjustable mounts (back one 1, then 2 'notches') but still not near the centre, and I've run out of elevation (down) so I tried adjusting the front mount, which made it worse. I'm beginning to think that the scope is not suitable for the rifle! I've put it away now as I'm starting a bank of night shifts tonight.

27 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Same here. I'm having a hell of a job trying to zero it though. I'm trying with a collimator first, as I've done 99% of the time with all of my scopes. Looking through the scope at the collimator, it's a hell of a way out (high/low) to the collimator centre. I've altered the adjustable mounts (back one 1, then 2 'notches') but still not near the centre, and I've run out of elevation (down) so I tried adjusting the front mount, which made it worse. I'm beginning to think that the scope is not suitable for the rifle! I've put it away now as I'm starting a bank of night shifts tonight.

I only had a quick go with the air rifle at 10m and some 30mm Hawke mounts and got it zero’d pretty sharpish.

What mounts you using? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I only had a quick go with the air rifle at 10m and some 30mm Hawke mounts and got it zero’d pretty sharpish.

What mounts you using? 

I'm using adjustable mounts (bought from Ant Supplies https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ring-mounts/dovetail-ring-mounts/adjustable-elevation-scope-rings.html) due to a problem with another set, mainly trying to get on target. I thought by using adjustable mounts, I could sort the problem out, but to no avail so far. I had to stop trying due to work tonight. Hopefully, I can get it sorted. As mentioned, all of my scopes have been 'zeroed' through a Tasco shotsaver, which get them almost perfect. But, using the Copperhead scope, I can't dial in the reticule to line up with the shot saver  graph. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

On 23/05/2024 at 13:30, steve_b_wales said:

Well, I took the rifle/scope up the farm this morning, and tried to get on target at approx 20 yards. My mate and I could not see where the bullets were striking, so I fired a few into a big pile of manure. It was firing way too high. I adjusted the scope but came to the end of the adjustment range, and it was still too high. I might have to shim the rear mount. I will check it over again soon.

Steve, bare with me as I am no expert on scopes and rifles, but to my mind if you put shim under the rear mount it will make the rifle shoot higher? Also running out of down movement (moving the cross hair down) will also make the rifle to shoot high?

Ready to be blown out the water on my thinking. :)

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Steve, bare with me as I am no expert on scopes and rifles, but to my mind if you put shim under the rear mount it will make the rifle shoot higher? Also running out of down movement (moving the cross hair down) will also make the rifle to shoot high?

Ready to be blown out the water on my thinking. :)

I've changed the mounts and put a 'normal' set on. The scope is almost touching the barrel, which isn't a bad thing. I've managed to get the reticule lined up with the graph on my shot saver, but there's not much 'down' movement left on it. I need to pop up the farm and try it out. I've never had so much problems with a scope in my life. I think the main issue though is that there's a raised scope rail on my rifle S&W M&P 15-22. 

11 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've changed the mounts and put a 'normal' set on. The scope is almost touching the barrel, which isn't a bad thing. I've managed to get the reticule lined up with the graph on my shot saver, but there's not much 'down' movement left on it. I need to pop up the farm and try it out. I've never had so much problems with a scope in my life. I think the main issue though is that there's a raised scope rail on my rifle S&W M&P 15-22. 

Perhaps I am not understanding or explaining myself correctly, when you say no more down movement, are we talking moving the cross hair down or moving it up to make the rifle shoot lower? And will shim on the rear mount not make it shoot higher?

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

Perhaps I am not understanding or explaining myself correctly, when you say no more down movement, are we talking moving the cross hair down or moving it up to make the rifle shoot lower? And will shim on the rear mount not make it shoot higher?

Basically, when I try and line up the reticule with my shot saver, I turn the crosshairs but they go right down the bottom, ie, no more downward movement, but still too far from the centre of the shotsaver graph. That was with a different set of mounts, but the one's I fitted yesterday were better. I'm not 100% sure on adding a shim to the rear mount, as I've never had this problem. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I know not one way or the other, but I read this:-

Let's Look At The MTC Optics Copperhead 4-16x44 F2 Scope (hardairmagazine.com)

Well I, for one, did not realise that this scope was designed specifically for air rifles. Maybe I should have read more into it. Mine is on a .22lr so I hope that it will be okay. If not, I'll swop it with a different make, that's already on one of my air rifles.

EDIT: I've just read that it will be okay to use on a rimfire rifle.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Interesting, so with a magnification of either 4-16×44 or 3-12×44 is it meant for FAC air rifles as they talk about shooting out to 100 yards plus?

I'm convinced that just like shotgun cartridge velocity the makers believe that the shooters think that a large magnification is necessary. Either that or they've convinced some folk that that is the case. All I know is that I had a Genesis (which is now in the cupboard) on my HMR without a problem.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well I, for one, did not realise that this scope was designed specifically for air rifles. Maybe I should have read more into it. Mine is on a .22lr so I hope that it will be okay. If not, I'll swop it with a different make, that's already on one of my air rifles.

EDIT: I've just read that it will be okay to use on a rimfire rifle.

MTC website says designed for air rifle as well as rimfire. 

I rate the scope, going to get one :) 

40 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'm convinced that just like shotgun cartridge velocity the makers believe that the shooters think that a large magnification is necessary. Either that or they've convinced some folk that that is the case. All I know is that I had a Genesis (which is now in the cupboard) on my HMR without a problem.

i have a Genesis on both my .22-250 and .308👍👍👍👍👍

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

What I tend to like about large magnification scopes is that they allow me to zoom in to clearly identify a target, should it not be possible at a lower magnification.