Haslet in Bucks?

Simply cannot find anyone that stocks Haslet anywhere in Bucks, not the odd Supermarket garbage but decent Haslet. Can get it posted next day from some counties but postage is higher than the price of the product, anyone got any ideas? 

Proper haslet comes from Lincolnshire so I regret you are a bit far from where there's enough "Yellow Belly" influence to see it stocked.There's a good butcher in Spalding that makes haslet and stuffed chine and you could make a day of it (if both are open) and visit Elderkin's. Here in Leicestershire they make it at A Holmes & Son but it isn't cheap. Can you not get the caul and, as others say, make your own?

Edited by enfieldspares

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, from what i read on your cooking posts why not make some ??

Tried it once but it was a total disaster, think you need the right combination of pork mince and belly then it's cooked in a tray of water from memory, might have to try again. Seems most butchers that used to sell it in these parts all bought from the same supplier but their factory burned down around 2 years ago.

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Proper haslet comes from Lincolnshire so I regret you are a bit far from where there's enough "Yellow Belly" influence to see it stocked.There's a good butcher in Spalding that makes haslet and stuffed chine and you could make a day of it (if both are open) and visit Elderkin's. Here in Leicestershire they make it at A Holmes & Son but it isn't cheap. Can you not get the caul and, as others say, make your own?

Rang Holmes but they wont ship, still the nearest supplier so I'm going to arrange to visit and buy a kilo - thanks for the heads up.

BRUNO22RF - PM please, if you wish, I can buy a smaller amount than a kilo from Holmes and send it to you. That way you can better decide if in future to travel up or not. I ten miles from them so not a problem to do as a one off. The Spalding ones are better to my palate but as my mother and maternal grandmother from Mareham le Fen were "Yellow Bellies" I grew up on eating F C Phipps haslet for fifteen years.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 24/05/2024 at 09:32, enfieldspares said:

BRUNO22RF - PM please, if you wish, I can buy a smaller amount than a kilo from Holmes and send it to you. That way you can better decide if in future to travel up or not. I ten miles from them so not a problem to do as a one off. The Spalding ones are better to my palate but as my mother and maternal grandmother from Mareham le Fen were "Yellow Bellies" I grew up on eating F C Phipps haslet for fifteen years.

That's a fantastic offer Sir and truly appreciated, but a minor miracle has happened. Took our Dogs to a different wood on Wednesday and happened to be passing a local butcher on the way back. We are mad on salads at the moment and needed another Pork Pie so I suggested we stop off and get one , now despite having rung this butcher twice over the last 6 months regarding Haslet my other half mentioned Haslet to the guy behind the counter and guess what? They have had so many requests for it that they have had a bash at making it themselves, it's not the best but it is very good for an early attempt and I think it will get better - we discussed a little more Sage and a bit longer cooking time and the guy seemed to take my view onboard. Happy days, I'm a tenner lighter but I've got 4 days of Haslet to enjoy.

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

That's a fantastic offer Sir and truly appreciated, but a minor miracle has happened. Took our Dogs to a different wood on Wednesday 

For a moment I thought it was going to say...and they caught a wild one which we killed and took home to eat. In Scotland it's a well known thing coming across and catching a wild haggis while out walking the dog. I guess it was a poor lost haslet trying to find its way back to the Fens.