Jack Pyke Open 2024 at Sporting Targets in Bedfordshire

Once again, Sporting Targets held the Jack Pyke Open Competition from Wednesday the 12th of June until Sunday the 16th of June.

We arrived in good time, booked in and received the usual JP goody bag. 

As soon as we started to gather our guns and bags outside the Club House we were aware of some Competitors who had booked in and paid, but were not at the assembly area for the ride out to the First Stand. Several of them moaned that they were eating in the Restaurant, quite amazing that having booked a start time they couldn't work things out.

Well over 900 competitors shot the 120 target course in often varying weather. Saturday had some very heavy threatening rain clouds.

It has become a tradition that my eldest Son and I shoot this cracking competition as a Fathers Day treat.

Scores ranged from 114 down to 35, we saw one chap in the group in front of us use a SxS, but by the last stands he had changed to an O/U.

We were taken to the eastern end of the ground by a quad bike towed trolley to Stand One, the targets were interesting to say the least, but most of the time could be shot with minimal choke.

Throughout the 15 stands, there were water containers and apples floating in cool water for anyone to help themselves to, a nice touch and greatly appreciated in the warming temperatures of Sunday.

There were a couple of minor delays while traps were re-filled and one where a new cable had to be fitted much to the annoyance of that particular Referee.

The last stand, No 15 was set up as a Super Sporting/Compac layout with full use on the singles and some interesting report pairs.

None of the targets across the ground were too far out, indeed the longest ones were hittable with an 8 through 3/8th choke, I did use 3/4 and full a couple of times with a good 6 1/2 but didn't really need to.

A great way to spend time in the company of good people, we saw no silly or dangerous behaviour and everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Well done AGAIN Sporting Targets, probably the VERY BEST English Sporting Shooting Ground in the country.

On 17/06/2024 at 06:15, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Once again, Sporting Targets held the Jack Pyke Open Competition from Wednesday the 12th of June until Sunday the 16th of June.

We arrived in good time, booked in and received the usual JP goody bag. 

As soon as we started to gather our guns and bags outside the Club House we were aware of some Competitors who had booked in and paid, but were not at the assembly area for the ride out to the First Stand. Several of them moaned that they were eating in the Restaurant, quite amazing that having booked a start time they couldn't work things out.

Well over 900 competitors shot the 120 target course in often varying weather. Saturday had some very heavy threatening rain clouds.

It has become a tradition that my eldest Son and I shoot this cracking competition as a Fathers Day treat.

Scores ranged from 114 down to 35, we saw one chap in the group in front of us use a SxS, but by the last stands he had changed to an O/U.

We were taken to the eastern end of the ground by a quad bike towed trolley to Stand One, the targets were interesting to say the least, but most of the time could be shot with minimal choke.

Throughout the 15 stands, there were water containers and apples floating in cool water for anyone to help themselves to, a nice touch and greatly appreciated in the warming temperatures of Sunday.

There were a couple of minor delays while traps were re-filled and one where a new cable had to be fitted much to the annoyance of that particular Referee.

The last stand, No 15 was set up as a Super Sporting/Compac layout with full use on the singles and some interesting report pairs.

None of the targets across the ground were too far out, indeed the longest ones were hittable with an 8 through 3/8th choke, I did use 3/4 and full a couple of times with a good 6 1/2 but didn't really need to.

A great way to spend time in the company of good people, we saw no silly or dangerous behaviour and everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Well done AGAIN Sporting Targets, probably the VERY BEST English Sporting Shooting Ground in the country.

Tightchoke I’ve watched some of them competitions on YouTube looks great fun  Great Father’s Day memories 👍

8 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Tightchoke I’ve watched some of them competitions on YouTube looks great fun  Great Father’s Day memories 👍

Certainly are.

When we got to Sporting Targets, Michael disappeared to the Gun Shop and returned to say there was a lovely old Beretta 682 in the rack.

We went and looked at it and asked for it to be put aside till we had shot, so that it wasn't bought while we were out.

He bought it to add to his growing collection of "old" Beretta's and then took 3 more guns and a pair of barrels from my collection on his way back to Cumbria.

An absolutely superb day out again.

Will book for the Sunday of next years Jack Pyke Open, anybody else want to join us?