Red Antler Duck Call

I was sent a selection of deer antler the other week by greenshank1 and I had promised him, I would try and turn a duck call from a piece of antler.

I finally built up the courage, to cut a suitable piece of antler, which was fairly straight and had an even wall thickness and a good diameter.

I drilled out the core of the antler and made 2 acrylic end caps from faux cow horn and bone offcut pieces, which had been used for previous duck calls.

I turned the acrylic caps to have a spigot and glued and clamped overnight and machined the following day to size and shape.

I am very pleased with my 1st antler duck call and it sanded and polished very nicely 👍

I will send it off to greenshank1 on Wednesday for him to check it out.

I cut and glued a few pieces of laminated wood pieces for Old Boggy to try out on his bottle stoppers, and made a laminated chequered duck call from a spare piece I put aside.

The laminated piece, was Ash and Zebrano and I made a stopper from a solid piece of Ash. to suit the call.

It was very nice to turn , and very pleased how it sounds and looks.

The green stopper call is made from the faux cow horn acrylic, and I will definitely purchase more, for future projects.

A few photos of the finished calls 👍

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

All amazing stuff as usual.

As Shambam said, he very kindly sent me some laminated and turned pieces of wood for me to make more bottle stoppers, the first one as the attached photo.

This was as a result, not just of Shambam`s skill in laminating, but also his continuing advice to me on what to use to get a good finish to the wood, so thanks again Kevin, very much appreciated. Unfortunately the photo doesn`t do it justice.

IMG_4307.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

26 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

All amazing stuff as usual.

As Shambam said, he very kindly sent me some laminated and turned pieces of wood for me to make more bottle stoppers, the first one as the attached photo.

This was as a result, not just of Shambam`s skill in laminating, but also his continuing advice to me on what to use to get a good finish to the wood, so thanks again Kevin, very much appreciated. Unfortunately the photo doesn`t do it justice.

IMG_4307.JPG

Well done Old Boggy, looking very nice 👍

19 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

I was sent a selection of deer antler the other week by greenshank1 and I had promised him, I would try and turn a duck call from a piece of antler.

I finally built up the courage, to cut a suitable piece of antler, which was fairly straight and had an even wall thickness and a good diameter.

I drilled out the core of the antler and made 2 acrylic end caps from faux cow horn and bone offcut pieces, which had been used for previous duck calls.

I turned the acrylic caps to have a spigot and glued and clamped overnight and machined the following day to size and shape.

I am very pleased with my 1st antler duck call and it sanded and polished very nicely 👍

I cut and glued a few pieces of laminated wood pieces for Old Boggy to try out on his bottle stoppers, and made a laminated chequered duck call from a spare piece I put aside.

The laminated piece, was Ash and Zebrano and I made a stopper from a solid piece of Ash. to suit the call.

The green stopper call is made from the faux cow horn acrylic, and I will definitely purchase more, for future projects.

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

Amazing works of art top class 👍👍👍👍

21 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

May I ask how you get the dark rings on the wood? Are they burnt in using wire or something, only I think that I`ve seen a Youtube video using wire. Would like to try it.

Many thanks,

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

May I ask how you get the dark rings on the wood? Are they burnt in using wire or something, only I think that I`ve seen a Youtube video using wire. Would like to try it.

Many thanks,

OB

The dark rings are burnt in with a wire.

Before you use the wire, make sure you cut a small groove in the wood so the wire will run true and not deviate.

I have a few different thickness wires I use for different width grooves.

Make sure you have basic wooden handles to fix the wire to, to prevent it catching and cutting your hands.

Keep it short as possible.

I have seen a hacksaw frame used with a wire fixed in place of the blade and used to good effect 👍

This is the larger one I use, very basic but works for me 👍

IMG_2560.jpeg

17 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

The dark rings are burnt in with a wire.

Before you use the wire, make sure you cut a small groove in the wood so the wire will run true and not deviate.

I have a few different thickness wires I use for different width grooves.

Make sure you have basic wooden handles to fix the wire to, to prevent it catching and cutting your hands.

Keep it short as possible.

I have seen a hacksaw frame used with a wire fixed in place of the blade and used to good effect 👍

This is the larger one I use, very basic but works for me 👍

IMG_2560.jpeg

Many thanks for explaining that. Will give it a try.

OB