Whilst the Master is on leave ......

...... here is an alternative post.

Chilli con carne (home made and from the freezer), with Mexican style rice (also home made) and a bit of fresh coriander on top.  Served with a (very) mixed salad of Avocado, celery, cucumber, green olives, lettuce, pointed red pepper, radish, spring onion, tomato with an oil and vinegar dressing incorporating garlic.

2D3E0EB1-29CE-4977-A8B1-2D6967EE2B61_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK

now...that does look nice....good pic as well:good:

im going into the pie and tarte and pastry buisness....i have never made a pie or tarte in my life....should be interesting :w00t:

Just now, ditchman said:

now...that does look nice....good pic as well:good:

im going into the pie and tarte and pastry buisness....i have never made a pie or tarte in my life....should be interesting :w00t:

Hints on pies for one person;

1. Use Jus-Rol pastry (from supermarkets) - either shortcrust or puff (or shortcrust case and puff lid even better) and brush with beaten egg before baking.
  2. Use a 'springform' case in around 4" for a pie for 1 person - see photo. 

If you buy a set (I think I have 3) of the spring form cases, you can make 3 pies, two for the freezer.

8960ECB2-2BC7-44C0-9341-A2CD3693DFB5_1_201_a.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Hints on pies for one person;

1. Use Jus-Rol pastry (from supermarkets) - either shortcrust or puff (or shortcrust case and puff lid even better) and brush with beaten egg before baking.
  2. Use a 'springform' case in around 4" for a pie for 1 person - see photo. 

If you buy a set (I think I have 3) of the spring form cases, you can make 3 pies, two for the freezer.

8960ECB2-2BC7-44C0-9341-A2CD3693DFB5_1_201_a.jpeg

totally disagree, make your own shortcrust pastry its Pea easy!  Flour, water, salt, butter, lard, make a few batches as it freezes well, SIMPLES.

31 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

totally disagree, make your own shortcrust pastry its Pea easy!  Flour, water, salt, butter, lard, make a few batches as it freezes well, SIMPLES.

Yes, shortcrust is easy enough, but Jus Rol is even easier, cheap and just as good (in my view).

Puff pastry is not so easy - and Jus Rol is easy.

in will have to make do with the pots and pans ive got......there is no way im faffing about making my own pastry....period....

the pastry appears to be quite thin ..so i will double up on it with a wash....

5 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I’m with you Billy.   I do cheat and use the food processor, stick everything bar the liquid in the mixer, blitz for 10-20 seconds til it’s crumb like and then slowly add the water whilst pulsing I til you have a ball of pastry.  Weighing the ingredients out is the longest part of the process 👍