FAILURE TO EXTRACT

i was out on the rabbits yesterday evening on the horse paddocks and having a really successful time.

as soon as i got to the fence i shot 4 in the space of about 2 minutes.

anyhow after about an hour and with 11 in the bag as i was making my way down the far hedge line (as i had spotted about another 10 or so 250 yards further down the paddock) anther couple of customers popped out about 60 yards away.

shot the first and that casing failed to extract.

dropped out the mag and worked the bolt several times but it wouldn't grab it so that put paid to that as i didn't have anything on me to try and pry it out or push it out from the muzzle end.

so been up since 6 this morning so went straight in the garage to investigate.

pushed out the empty with a cleaning rod and went on to look into the reason.

the rifle is an HW60J chambered in HMR calibre.

after offering an empty case up to the extractors it was obvious that the extractor claws were in good order but the extractors weren't being held closed.

there is a half round spring clip that fits into a recess/groove in the  bolt and round the extractors to hold them tight enough to grab the rim of the case which obviously wasn't doing its job.

after removing the clip and the extractors,cleaning the bolt face,extractors etc and a bit of reshaping of the clip by compressing it in the vice to tighten it up and reassembling the bolt all now works as it should but i think I'll still source a spare spring clip as if it's stretched once it's odds on to be weakened and will do it again.

8 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

after removing the clip and the extractors,cleaning the bolt face,extractors etc and a bit of reshaping of the clip by compressing it in the vice to tighten it up and reassembling the bolt all now works as it should but i think I'll still source a spare spring clip as if it's stretched once it's odds on to be weakened and will do it again.

Sounds like a good plan, buy two if they are relatively cheap, you know you'll need them eventually.  :good:

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

Quite common with that style of extractor. Had the exact same problem on my old BRNO.

looked at Brownells and can't find any HW spares

Chambers knock 'em out at just over 10 quid but it says out of stock😭

any other suppliers you know of to try🤔

i emailed Hull Cartridge through the "contact us" feature on their website last Sunday morning so they'd see Monday morning.

i included all the information they asked for, contact details,etc,etc and details of the my gun,the problem i was having and the part i was trying to source.

to say i'm a tad disappointed is an understatement as it's now Friday and i haven't even had a reply from them to acknowledge receipt.

this is all too often the case when you're dealing with UK customer services 👎

a few years ago i had the need to contact Leupold in the US and not only did i get a reply almost straight away within a week i received the part i needed in the post for free.

looks like i'll be finding out if the "efficient" Germans are better at dealing with their customers than their appointed UK agents.