Chokes

game_boy

I have a young farmers competion in a couple of weeks and I want to kick some ***, i havent shot clays before from my medalist. I have the choice of Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, Skeet. Whats the best combination to kick *** with? Just want the best chance of hitting them...

Cheers folks as ever.

shame you dont have two 1/4's shove em in and "fire and forget" you may find the skeet and 1/4 will sufice im sure the targets wont be in the region of 50yd + birds, though you never know right, i try to use two of the same, it saves confusion, and also keeps conformity, using two different tubes always gave me something else to think about " which barrel is best for what bird at what distance going which way, generaly speaking most birds on a local shoot will be shot inside a 40 yd range, you will find your 1/4's will do well enough.

and good luck in the comp :good::lol:

Martin

shame you dont have two 1/4's shove em in and "fire and forget" you may find the skeet and 1/4 will sufice im sure the targets wont be in the region of 50yd + birds, though you never know right, i try to use two of the same, it saves confusion, and also keeps conformity, using two different tubes always gave me something else to think about " which barrel is best for what bird at what distance going which way, generaly speaking most birds on a local shoot will be shot inside a 40 yd range, you will find your 1/4's will do well enough.

and good luck in the comp :good::lol:

Martin

Thats great, thanks Martin, Good enough for me. Its towards the end of November so hopefully get a trap up for a practice.

I tend to use 1/4 and 1/2 or 1/4 and 3/4 depending on the distance to the targets. I have a pair of skeet chokes too, but i don't like mixing them with the others, as they are barrel extenders, and the others are flush fits. Looks wring, and i'm not sure about having one barrell 3/4" longer than the other.

Good luck with the competition! Let us know your score!

Stu

Last week we made are own plate up to see where we were shooting ....

basicly a few sticks and some wallpaper stuck together in the middle of the field.

I was surprised at the shot pattern and how the pellets were spreading when pointing at a center mark..

I was using Cyl Choke and only managed to get a couple of pellets on the center of the mark and it would seem i was shooting more to the left.

It was quite easy to see how a clay could pass through the spread of the pellets without being hit...

So i am going todo the same this weekend (hopefully) and i expect i will stick to 1/4 choke in both barrels...

all good learning though

cheers

I have a young farmers competion in a couple of weeks and I want to kick some ***, i havent shot clays before from my medalist. I have the choice of Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, Skeet. Whats the best combination to kick *** with? Just want the best chance of hitting them...

Cheers folks as ever.

1/4 and half is best for sporting clays

Just remember when you fire a a pattern plate it is stationary and so is the gun, When firing and swinging you will produce a long shot string and the pattern will be oval. Clays escaping through a hole in the pattern is just an excuse (Hey PIN).

If you make a rectangle patern plate and fire at it will swinging quickly you will see a whole different pattern.

Cheers folks as ever.

If you've not shot clays before then it's more likely your *** that's going to get kicked as these sort of shoots always attract a few ringers.

Stick to open chokes, skeet & quarter will be fine for anything up to about 40 yards, don't worry about clays going through the pattern, it simply doesn't happen that way on targets at normal ranges.

Keep your head screwed down onto the stock & enjoy the day.

Make sure you stay around to congratulate the winner.

Cat.

Keep your head screwed down onto the stock & enjoy the day.

Make sure you stay around to congratulate the winner.

Cat.

sound advise from Cat, too many guys walk off without congrats where its due, people do remember ignorence, the winners are all to eager to pass on good tips as well, listen closely, and enjoy the day.

Martin