Spotting Myxy

Rimfire

Hi Guys,

This might sound like a question with an obvious answer, however, apart from the obvious dozziness and weeping eyes and blindness, how else can you tell if a rabbit has myxy. The reason I ask this is because I came upon a rabbit last night, it was dusk and I suspected it hadn't seen me. I shot it with the .22 RF at about 60 yds. The bullet went in one eye and out the other side.

Given this senario, how could I tell afterwards if the rabbit had the disease?

Thanks

Rimfire

Apart from the obvious symptoms you described and short of taking a blood test and urine sample for analysis, you cant mate.

Fortunately many rabbit colonies have build up a partial immunity to the disease

The Rabbits are beleived to be infected by blood feeding parasites particulary the rabbit flea and the mosquito. Mosquito are particulary active at this time of year so it is probably why the disease is more prevelent in the early summer months.

The first symptoms appear as swelling of the eye lids 1 to 4 weeks after infection.

As far as I know the disease is not a danger to Humans, ( Unless any Pathologists reading can confirm otherwise) and animals in the very early stages of the disease can be cooked and eaten.

FM.

Just out of interest... Does mixy make the liver a very odd texture?

I've seen a couple of rabbits now that have looked totally normal when I've shot them (no weeping eyes, alert etc) but when I have come to gut and clean them for the pot, their livers have been far from the smooth, normal colour and texture that I have seen many times before.

It's a very rough texture and a lighter colour than normal and just to be on the safe side, I've left the rabbit out for Charlie instead of eating it myself.

Saw a small one the other day that had yellow cysts in it's liver too. Charlie's eating well these days...

Wookie

I'll keep feeding him, but he's my bunny control helper, so you can't have a go at him!

If those cysts are from mixie, That's bad news... I'll have to go out more often and try and trim the numbers down more often.

Wookie