Which Gun.

ernyha

:< On the rare trips i make to a clay shoot i never know which of my two 12 bores to use.

I have a Browning O/U fixed choke 425 Game gun 1/4 and 3/4 and a Beretta 391 camo multi-choke semi-auto.

I should add i shoot pigeons equally well (or badly) with both.

What do you think? :lol:

:lol:

Only problem with semis , is you have to pick up the shells off the floor to put in the emptys bucket ,With o/u you can at least open the gun and catch the empty shells with your open hand .

Plus if your shooting dtl or pro sport in a squad you will be hitting the poor bloke next to you every time your semi ejects . :lol:

Ern, both have there pros and cons.

Firstly the O/U, clays come in pairs so It makes sense to use the O/U. In some eyes they are safer, being visably broken. However if you plan to shoot over about 200, I would chose the S/A. The reason being after about 200 rounds in a short period my sholder starts to hurt a bit - espeshally with 32g. The SA elimiates this as the recoil is reduced.

For a 50 bird go, or a lesson I would have the O/U. For a long shoot the S/A, but if I was shooting with others who I didn't know well, and who didn't know me I would stick to the O/U.

If you are using the S/A I would purchase a flag.

Hope I've helped, but probably just confused the situation more. :lol:

If you are using the S/A I would purchase a flag.

:lol: Red when i say clay shooting i am talking about local knockabout club shoots mate, i don't shoot for Britain.

I think a union jack on a flagpole when i shot would be a bit over the top even for me!!! :D:D:lol::lol:

ern its up to you mate? depends what you want to shoot? dtl for the brain dead?

sporting or skeet? the game gun with fixed chokes would be difficult for skeet ?

could be ok for sporting if you select chamber firing order after looking at each pair of birds, and it would work at dtl the

semi if multi choke would be fine if its a 28 or 30" I use my 30" urika regularly on clays and its a good tool the sodding "purists" dont like em and as for a camo gun

heavens to murgatroyde? tut tut? worth using it for that alone, as for weight? the heavier the better! it will swing better,

cheers Keith

Guest Mr Pieman

kdubya,

why would the fixed chokes be difficult? Might make him a better shot :D???

The USA skeet squad are all training with full and full chokes to improve their accuracy. By the time they shoot with skeet chokes they should be VERY good. With their radical view to training I don't expect it will be long before the Yanks have golds in most of the shooting disciplines :D

Having said that, I'll be cheering my head off for Mr Foulds et. al in Athens :lol::lol::lol::D

Cheers

PP

I have shot skeet twice, and frankly if I had to pay for it I wouldn't. I find it the dullest form of shooting.

nah dtl is the dullest? get a straight 25 at skeet and you will be hooked? I will be at rufforth tommorrow shooting skeet I love it? the real m'coy dont like skeet cos it trains you to hit fast crossers!!!

cheers Keith

have to agree with the pieman as to skeet with full chokes ,i love shooting skeet

with tight chokes keeps a man honest ,and kdubya your right it hooks you ,we also run a game called 5 stand ,8 randomly fired traps from overhead l/r crossing teal and bunnys in coming out going and a flush sorry got carried away ,need to go to the range quickly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

shoot well and practice often ,mitch

Red,

I do also quite like olimpic setups.

Do you mean Olympic Trench? That really is a tough one; it's very much a concentration game, you need to be on beta blockers or into self hypnosis to do any good.

You won't find Olympic skeet boring; just impossible! With Joe Neville standing beside me I once shot 25 straight, without him I've never broken 21.

Mr Pieman; interesting about the Yank skeet shooters using full choke in training, I hadn't heard that one. It would be a nice exercise to see the difference in effective killing zones between "skeet" and "full" at 21 and 30 ish yards. It might not be as big as some people imagine, what do you think?

Regards

Eug