Swift centrefire

berettaman1

Just a new topic really, any members on here shoot the .22 Swift calibre? If I remember right it used to do 4000 FPS with a 50 grain? head and was devastating on hares and foxes, I cant remember reading about if this calibre is still used today, Anybody still using such a rifle, and what do they think of it!? cheers. :good:

Just a new topic really, any members on here shoot the .22 Swift calibre? If I remember right it used to do 4000 FPS with a 50 grain? head and was devastating on hares and foxes, I cant remember reading about if this calibre is still used today, Anybody still using such a rifle, and what do they think of it!? cheers. :good:

A friend of mine shoots one for foxing, the performance is about on a par with my 22.250 but the ammo is about a fiver a box more at our local gunshop. At the moment he's trying out 40grn bullets,

barrel burners, I think he calls them.

Andy

Yes Andy, thats what I remember about the calibre, A mate had one and he did home loads and the first 4 inches of his rifling from the breech was eroded away very quickly. I had a .22 hornet at the time and his rifle left it for dead after 150 yards, Still it used to impress me the way it blew up foxes at 300 yards!. cheers bud.Ron.

I used to shoot a lot of foxes with my mates remmie .220 swift there unreal on foxes and very flat shooting but seriously seriously loud without a moderator :good: I wouldnt imagine barrel wear would be an issue if you were using it just for foxes.

They used to be very popular in Ireland but a lot of people started to switch to the cheaper to run .223.

uncle has one. No barrel burning with modern powders. Yes, you can drive a 50 gr head over 4000 fps. If you have a long barrel you can really push some amazing speeds. You can get the 35 gr berger MEF heads and push them closer to 5000 fps if you have a slow twist barrel. Pretty explosive stuff when you're moving that fast.

At the end of the day though, you still have a 22 caliber bullet. Ballistics on bullets that small aren't great beyond 300 yd no matter how fast you drive them. Inside of 300 yd, there isn't enough of a difference between a swift and a 22-250 to make it worth the difference in price. And, if you hand load you can take a 223-AI and get pretty close to a 22-250 with a good bit less powder.

thanks

rick