good/bad

Hello, i was wondering do you go through good/bad days when you go out? or is this just me :) ? because its happend to me a few times, and i get all angry :) and it puts me off hunting a bit. Today i got 1 rabbit and 1 pigeon, but to get there i injured 1 rabbit+pigeon and missed 2 rabbits. And it has made my day misirable! :lol: Does this happen to any one else?

dont be discouraged ,we all get good and bad days ,i can remember many times going out hunting with my buddys and not firing a shot :look: , like everything out there had seen me first ,must have been the landing strip up top :) , i still look at it this way , its all a learning curve :) .

as your out in the country enjoy it as it comes not all people get that opourtunity.

happy hunting to you :lol:

martin

Hi,

It’s good to see that you have some morals when it comes down to injuring or failing to kill some of your targets.

It’s always a shame if you loose contact with something that you know you’ve caught with a few shot but failed to stop it before it gets to cover.

I personally don’t shoot rabbits in summer but I do shoot pigeons, my reason behind this is, rabbits young will die if you take the milky female out but a pigeon will still rear the young, and there are also some observations that pigeons could even adopt the young of another bird.

I think shooting is a humane way of keeping pests under control but we are all human and we do miss the target sometimes, As long as we still feel a little guilty when we fail to stop a bird or rabbit then we know we aren’t just blood thirsty killers with no feelings.

Like the North American Indians, we should respect all wildlife and even though we have a right to take an animals life like any top predator on earth, it’s that guilt that makes us human.

Let’s hope the animals you injured help to feed the young of another.

Happy woody shooting.

Justin

The PM

Call that a bad day I went out with my syndicate on our walked up shoot the first bird of the day got up right in front of me easiest shot you've ever seen, all eyes on me both barrels later all i could do was bid the bird a good journey. It only got worse after that, all told a fired just under twenty cartrides for just one cock pheasant gave up even pointing the gun at them and just enjoyed the walk. I was using the father in laws gun though!!

Squint

Everybody has "off" days and sometimes there is no reason for it, but often its due to lack of concentration, because you have something else on your mind.

If you have two guns, take them both with you and if you start having a bad day, swop guns.

It has worked for me, although I admit that the reasoning is probably more psychological than anything else, unless one gun fits better than the other.

I use to do this all the time on Syndicate days, to avoid too many instances that squintshot described. :)

I personally don’t shoot rabbits in summer but I do shoot pigeons, my reason behind this is, rabbits young will die if you take the milky female out but a pigeon will still rear the young, and there are also some observations that pigeons could even adopt the young of another birds.

Interesting, i don't do pigeon shooting in the summer (unless under specific request) because I reason that both parents coming from the same nest will probably be visiting the same field and I'd hate to nail both of them. I do shoot rabbits though, after a bit of shooting it becomes very easy to avoid the pregnant or heavy in milk does, where of course you never know with the pigeon you're shooting - perhaps that makes it more acceptable.

This old argument rears it's ugly head every year, my opinion is this, if it is unacceptable to kill a rabbit or pigeon because it might have young relying on its' return for their survival, is it then acceptable to kill a rat if it may have young? My vote says they are all vermin and the landowners over whose land I shoot just want the numbers controlled regardless of the time of year.