Falconry Training - Interested?

ShaggyRS6

Refering to this thread http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=49074 and my mate Alex who is a Falconer. I was chatting to him tonight and it seems that he does give one to one lessons at a price much less than that of the bigger names out there.

I was wondering how much interest he could expect. I am sure that there would be lots of people on this site interested in either getting a basic understanding of the sport, or going the whole hog. He breads birds, makes all the houses but has never taken himself seriously.

I offered to build him a simple website for the only reason that I see that it has potential.

What do you think?

I am a few years off wanting to keep a bop myself, but it is something I'd love to get into. I was lucky enough to bump into someone locally who keeps all sorts of birds and I have been out with him once - sadly he seems to have gone to ground and I've not seen him for ages.

I'd love to go for an introductory session, I've read a few books on the subject in preparation, nothing better than from the horses mouth as it were.

Stick me down!

The thing is, and I must stress that I am not doing this for financial gain, he also has a Property that his wife rents out as a holiday home. So that could be used for people to stay over. I am trying to tell him that he has all the tools, he should use his knowledge to earn a bit if cash.

I will let him know your interested.

As an example the big boys charge £400 for training. I think Alex said he charges £20 a session.

when i woz 17 i had an european eagle owl named "johnson" never got the pleasure of working him as the neighbours did not like the Wooohooo

all night long sadly he had to go. this would be ideal as i have always wanted to get back to it with a view of keeping my own bird again.

let your mate know i'd love to meet him and would gladly pay £40 a session keep up the good work thanks :good::no:

It might be an idea to perhaps explain what Alex does in more detail.

1st If some one likes birds and would like some insight, maybe wants to take photo's, go for a walk and see one fly, have one called to their fist and receive general information, a coffee, tea, glass of wine or beer and a sandwich all in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours he charges £35 per person or 2 people £50 (He does not do more than 2 people as you can lose the effect and the closeness if you end up with a group of 10 etc. He leave's that to the big boys who are basically in it for the money he does it so it fund his hobby.

2nd If some one is serious about getting a bird and training it themselves etc then he will do it along the lines of consultancy a bit like a driving instructor on a 1 hour lesson basis £20 per lesson. This includes visiting their house if necessary and helping them with the set up of aviary etc and then acquiring the bird (possibly from Alex, the good thing about getting the bird from Alexis that if youfind that falconry is not for them in the end he will buy the bird back from you at a slightly reduced cost) and then supervision through the training until the bird is flying free.

There are larger companies who do this kind of thing that apparently teach you to train a bird in 5 days which they charge you hundreds of pounds for I am not sure how you teach someone to train a bird in 5 days unless of course its all theory in which case by the time you get a bird half of the information has gone and I have always found that practical learning is far better.

The manning of a new bird can take up to 2 weeks or more

The training takes at least 10 days

Unless of course you supply you a bird which is semi trained or manned in which case your only getting half the experience .. a lot of people give up falconry at the very basic stage of manning because it is time consuming, hard work and in some cases not always fun, but hey its a live animal and if your really serious you will suffer the good with the bad.

Edited by ShaggyRS6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...