Which .243 rifle.

sean c

Hi all.

Ive narrowed down my choices to the following rifles and would like you people with more experience than me to give me a bit of advice.

1.Remington 700 sps.

2.Howa 1500 laminated sporter.

3.Tikka t3 lite.

Please bear in mind that i only have a budget of around £600 so i cant buy a new sako etc.I would really like to know your views and thoughts of any others you would recommend.

regards

Sean

Edited by sean c

Howa and Tikka have a better stock at that level BUT a Remmington will give you more scope to improve the rifle as time goes by as opposed to buying another rifle later as the 700 action is used by many around the world for customising. Most of Riflecrafts custom jobs are on Remmy 700 actions.

Try and find a gun shop that has all in stock and handle them all and see what you think, I would say thatshootability is about the same across the board

Ian

I have a Tikka in 6.5x55. I'm well happy with it.

Mines the laminate stainless model, but I'm sure they're all pretty much the same. Synthetic stocks can flex, but I never did hear of a gun that hadn't had someone complaining!

I also have a slot for 6.5x 55 but i dicided a few months ago that i would get a sako 85 in 6.5x55.But ive got to save up for a while as 2 rilfes and 2 scopes and mounts etc are not cheap as you all know.

Sean, I 've read several articles about the Remmie 700 SPS where the synthetic stock has been panned for being too flexible. The more expensive Model 700s (VSF or Sendero to name but two) have stiffer synthetic stocks.

I'm curious why you need both a .243 and a 6.5x55mm - I'd ditch the £600 .243 and go straight for the Sako in 6.5 (a worthy investment), and if you need a smaller calibre buy a .223 or .22-250 for vermin and small deer control.

I agree that the .243 and 6.5 overlap too much, if you have 2 guns worth of money to spent on one gun you could up it to a Sauer or similar.

We realy need someone on here to break the Tikka/Remmy mould and buy something different, can someone buy an RWS Titan and tell us what its like please? :good:

The higher end Remmys have HS Percision stocks with an integral aluminium bed as standard, the SPS dosn't i believe different stock

I take it that you want the .243 as a dedicated fox rifle and the 6.5 x 55 as a deer rifle as this will take the heavier bullet

Ian

I take it the 6.5x55 is for deer and the .243 for fox? If so, if it were my money I would keep the .243 and drop the 6.5 for a .270 :D

Out of the guns shown - Rem 700 SPS would be my choice, but get a new stock asap. If your budget is stretched there are some good cheaper options - heard some good reports from these guys :lol:http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.com/firearms.shtml

Edited by Oly

I have the Sauer 202 Synthetic in 6.5 X 55. It is a fantastic rifle - quick to shoulder - crisp trigger - very accurate. I fancied the Sako but did not care for the synthetic stock - personal preference.

This business about have a deer rifle and a "dedicated" fox rifle is nonsense for the two calibres in mention. They both have similar ballistics - you should know a gun and a calibre. Choose a calibre for deer - it will kill a fox.

If you really need to reach out there for a long shot on Charlie, you should consider a 22-250 or a magnum 223 of sorts. There are lots of fashionable calibres.

Bottom line - know a calibre - know your gun - know the drop.

Im about to get a .243 , mainly for muntjac and roe but i wont think twice about taking it up to scotland for red, or shooting foxes with it. All the rifle shooting i have done has been with a .243 and although im definatly no expert, the quarry has ranged from foxes to red stags. I find this post interesting because i am also trying to decide between a tikka T3 and a Remmy SPS.

That seems quite true hwr, a lot opf people have .22 cz's but not many (i know there are a few though) use centrefire cz's. I'm not sure why, I'm not a fan of cz's in any calibre anyway, but no doubt others have their reasons - would be good to hear why though. :good: