some legal advice

flash

I accidently backed into a scooter at college today, at about 1 mile an hour if that. It fell over and i got out to pick it up, as the owner appeared running towards. He helped to pick it up. Once it was up i asked him if it was alright, to which he replied, 'yeah dont worry mate'. I then asked if he wanted to swap insurance details, to which he replied, 'no dont worry about it'.

So i went on my way. As i was driving off i looked in my rear view mirror, and saw him nail it one with his boot, which i thought a bit strange. I had another person in the car who saw it, as well as three others in a different car.

When i came back to college later on. I found the owner of the bike to have a chat. I offered him to swap details, or pay for it straight up. To which he replied dont worry, ill fix it at home. I thought this was a bit weird to be honest. at this point i added that i saw him boot the scooter, to which he replied 'yeah'.

Later on a mate was speaking to him, and it appears he always meant to go to my insurance company, and that he kicked the scooter to do more damage to get more insurance money. but after he found out i have witnesses to him kicking it, i think he had second toughts.

I was just wondering what the consequences of this are, as i have witnesses to all that happened. I will agree that i knocked the bike over, but i offered to swap details etc, and to even pay but he refused. So i dont see what can happen of this, or is there something else?

please help me :lol:

cheers

flash

ps, i think im gonna quit driving.

Hey Flash!

Dont worry theres loads of people out there trying stuff like that. Dont let it get you down.

Providing you have witnesses who would, if needs be, provide a statment to the insurance company or police (if it came to that) then you would be fine.

Since insurance sompanies are never there to witness the accident, they rely on third party bystanders to provide information.

I doubt you ill hear anything from the chap, and you did all the right things :lol:

It may be worth getting your witnesses to write their statements now, whilst matters are fresh in their memory. You can keep the statements just in case you need them later. Also if you are involved in any future accidents it is worthwhile photographing any damage and the driver and any passengers.

webber

from the damage i saw when i picked it up, was a crack in the plastic about 5 inches long. once i had left and he had booted it, damage had appeared where i hadnt seen it. and it certainly wasnt from the fall of the bike, as it was completely smashed, not cracks the whole thing was broken and the damage was on the underneath of the foot well, where it couldnt had touched the ground.

Insurance companies will send assesors out to a majority of claims, they see thousands of cars and bikes every week so im sure they can tell if the damage was 'attributable to the incident'

chances are the cost of a plastic pannel will not even meet your excess.

Anyhow, he now has to prove you reversed into his scooter...... no your honour i dont recall hitting it at all.... after all he didnt even want to swap insurance details... does he have insurance??

I'd say he's not got insurance on it and he's kicked it out of frustration -or- It's not his bike and shouldn't have been riding it...

I think it's an offence to refuse to give out insurance details, it's also not a good idea to fail to report an accident if there is a chance he will report it to his insurance company - assuming he has one.

The arguments about more money from the insurance company don't add up - you don't get money unless it's a right off - they will have it go to an approved garage and be assessed before they pay out and they will only cough what it costs to fix - kicking it to break it more simply increases the size of the claim he makes which regardless of blame you still have to cough to.

the fact you have witnesses is your strength here. I would agree that you get their statements from them now so the statements all hang together - although from what you say there is not much chance that they won't. Don't underestimate the price of plastics on a bike or scooter, if he has damaged a lot of bodywork (i won't call the plastic stuck to scooters fairings) the bill could be LOTS - take it from one who dropped his own bike... in a car park :lol: So if he makes a claim it could be sizeable but as pin has already said, he won't get any money unless it's a write off - the insurance co will just pay his repair bill.

Your insurance co will fight your case (assuming your cover provides for that) and witness statements will go a long way to their success, especially as you have no damage so there is no hit-for-hit trade off.

Don't worry, it's stacked in your favour - not that it needs to be, you've done it all right.

WGD

It may be worth getting your witnesses to write their statements now, whilst matters are fresh in their memory. You can keep the statements just in case you need them later. Also if you are involved in any future accidents it is worthwhile photographing any damage and the driver and any passengers.

webber

Good advice, thats what I would do in case the Pr*t did try it on in a months time.

:lol: D2D