My pup keeps chasing shadows.

Hodmedod.one

Hi Guys,

My dog is a pet/house dog, not a gundog. We got him three weeks ago to replace our last one which passed away in October. He is 6 1/2 months old and needed a good home as his previous owners are splitting up. He still has a fair way to go on the training front.

About five days ago he noticed a shadow on the tiled floor in the kitchen and decided to chase it. My wife and I have seen lots of dogs do this before so we just laughed at him and thought that would be the end of it. Ever since then he is obsessed with shadows. The kitchen has 12 spotlights in the ceiling so there are multiple shadows cast on the floor whenever anything moves. Even with the lights turned out he can still see shadows during daylight hours. The faster they move, the more he likes them so his favourites are the ones at our feet. He dives at them all the time with the result that he gets accidentally kicked or stood on and trips us up. My wife went *** over tip the other day.

I would like to get him out of the habit as soon as possible as it is obvious that he gets frustrated by his lack of success in catching the shadows. As soon as he is in a shadow free area he is back to his normal self again.

I told the missus when it first happened that he will grow out of it but he is certainly taking his time!

Does anyone know a way to get him out of it?

Thanks,

Chris.

My boss has a collie that is the same, he is basically nuts for it and they have never broken him of it, I hope NTTF can help you but am not sure, it may be like a "squeaker" a dog that whimpers all the time and cant be broken from it, top trainers sell the dogs on because they cant make the grade and will get failed in a test or trial

good luck

Ignore him and he will grow out of it.

My hound "discovered" the sky at 6 months old and went around almost cowering at birds flying over and then would have a spell getting freaked out by ceiling light fittings and tall trees.

She is OK now.

They are just like kids until they are about 12-18 months old.