Crayfish

fenfowler

Hi there fellas

i was wondering if any fishermen from around the Peterborough

area can tell me if there are any Crayfish in the river NENE or any of the drains in the fens.If so do you know if you can take them or do you need permission from the environment agency. Also is there a closed season for them?Thankyou for any information on this subject. :)

Not around that way, but as far as i am aware only our own crayfish is protected.

They are a lot smaller than the American crayfish.

If use a net trap, holes of around 1" should be used.

I think our crayfish are around 2" long and the American pests are around 4" or more.

Hope this helps.

Neil

The whole question of american signals is still a bit of a grey area. It is illegal to take them out of a river, but it is also illegal to return them from the river from which you caught them??. I do not think that any angling club or even an EA baliff will mind you taking them. You are most unlikely to encounter any british crays in Peterborough as the last few pockets of them live in the lake district and scotland. If you are planning on catching some the best way I found was to get a plastic barrel with a tight fitting lid, drill lots of holes in this to allow the flow of the water and cut out the centre of the lid and put in a wire funnel. Put in a mackerel but first wrap it up in a bit of chicken wire, this stops the crays from ripping it up too quick and devouring the lot. Put it into the water and submerge. Tie a rope to the bucket with a tin can tied to the other end. This acts a marker for easy retrieval. If poss onlytrap them in fast moving water. I have found all the crays are cleaner this way and look more appetizing round the barbie. Great eating and if allowed on your local stretch, cracking bait.

jimDfish

american signal crayfish are and introduced species, probably by the antis. anyway i know in one of the london parks they have to net hundreds every day in the lakes in there because of the damage to fish stocks in the lakes. not only do they do this but they carry a parisite that kills our own indiginous species. and as far as im aware its not illeagal. anyway i dont know any bailiff who would want to keep them, as they serve no purpose in our waters. pike do the clear ups of dead fish.......although according to mr hugh fairnly whittingstall{river cottage series} they are very good eating. bit like mini lobster he reckons and he knows his food alright !! good idea is to do a search for crayfish traps on google !! good luck mate

• 1 month later...

I was lead to believe that to actively hunt for crayfish you needed a licence from the Enviromental Agency. How you obtain a licence from the EA, I havent got a clue...

I dont think crayfish licences cost that much, just a few pounds.

As stated earlier, it is illegal to return crayfish to a river.