how many of ya.......

trakker01

sounds daft.....

but i am trully amaised how many guys i know shoot & don't want there game, animal or what ever to take home & enjoy.

.....they simply shoot for the sake of it, to kill & destroy our wildlife for what :good:?:good:?......Durrrrrrrrr!!

maybe i'm missing some thing here, but are they too tight to join a club & paper punch ??

are there deranged ??

whats that about ?? :unsure:

This is one of my pet hates. As far as I am concerned to kill a living creature the following must apply:

1) A good reason, be it for food, pest control etc.

2) You OWE it to dispatch it humanely and with respect

3) You OWE it to make best use of the meat if at all possible in the case of vermin and ALWAYS in the case of game.

4) You OWE it to the ecology as a whole to make sure what you are doing is sustainable and maintaining a balance rather than endangering the quarry species or those dependent on it

In my opinion if someone is not meeting all those criteria then they have no business whatsoever taking live quarry. :unsure:

As an aside, I often get people accusing me of hypocrisy with regard to game shooting... the implication being that I only do it because I enjoy killing things. When I point out that what we are ACTUALLY doing (and enjoying) is effectively "extreme free range" farming, i.e. raising stock that enjoys just about as close to pure free range as you can get before dispatching it in a humane way that also gives it a pretty good chance of escaping totally unscathed (60 or 70% chance or thereabouts on most shoots!) and that every single bird we kill is prepared and eaten either by the guns or the beaters - zero waste - they usually come around to my way of thinking!

Edited by alexm

This is one of my pet hates. As far as I am concerned to kill a living creature the following must apply:

3) You OWE it to make best use of the meat if at all possible in the case of vermin and ALWAYS in the case of game.

4) You OWE it to the ecology as a whole to make sure what you are doing is sustainable and maintaining a balance rather than endangering the quarry species or those dependent on it

In my opinion if someone is not meeting all those criteria then they have no business whatsoever taking live quarry. :unsure:

As an aside, I often get people accusing me of hypocrisy with regard to game shooting... the implication being that I only do it because I enjoy killing things. When I point out that what we are ACTUALLY doing (and enjoying) is effectively "extreme free range" farming, i.e. raising stock that enjoys just about as close to pure free range as you can get before dispatching it in a humane way that also gives it a pretty good chance of escaping totally unscathed (60 or 70% chance or thereabouts on most shoots!) and that every single bird we kill is prepared and eaten either by the guns or the beaters - zero waste - they usually come around to my way of thinking!

:good: well said that man!

Woody meat is the best around....completely free range and far nicer than supermarket chicken......like you I cannot understand dumping shot birds......I have a couple of mates who often throw criticisms at me for eating shot pigeon as they argue I am rich enough to go to the supermarket and buy it.......I used to argue my corner but now all I do is jump up in the air, do a couple of cartwheels and BITCHSLAP them both :unsure:

Killing for sake of killing in my view leaves no excuse, which brings me onto air rifles and who and wear they should be used, parents that allow there children to use air weapons unassisted. A good friend of mine lives in a small village in Sussex in that village over the years young families have taken up residents, My friend keeps chickens on some waste ground also on that ground is a small shed; one afternoon a few years ago I accompanied my friend to feed his chickens, when we arrived we found a young lad about 12 years old had setup in the shed and was shooting anything that moved, I found a bull finch just in front of the shed, when I asked the lad why he had killed this bird he couldn’t give me answer, needless to say I told this lad a few home trues and sent him on his way.

An excellant post :good:

Alexm do you not agree with game shooting i.e 200+ bird days ?

George,

I do support game shooting, I am a member of a shoot myself... but it's quite small and all the birds are used by people involved directly with the shoot, guns, beaters etc.

So long as birds aren't wasted I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'disagree' with larger commercial shoots... I think that *would* make me a hypocrite!... It's just that, and please note this is just my personal feeling, it becomes harder to justify to an onlooker who might already be sceptical about shooting why it is acceptable for one person to shoot maybe 30, 40, 50 birds and then go home with a single brace, or indeed nothing at all.

For example, how would you answer the question when someone asks you "why does that guy pay £1000's a year to kill all those birds when he has no intention of making use of them if he's not just doing it because he likes killing things?"

We both know it's not as simple as that but, for me personally, I get a warm fuzzy feeling about doing it our way that I don't think I'd get if we were shooting a lot more than we could possibly consume.

I think reason 1) sums up why most of us go shooting.

Reasons 2), 3) and 4) are laudible.

However, I don't think we should forget that we also go because we enjoy it.

If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't go.

Absolutely! :unsure:

The point I wast trying to get across is that there is no shame in enjoying shooting live quarry if your approach is consistent with the points above. It's the closest way I could think of trying to defining the difference between someone who enjoys shooting and someone who enjoys killing.

(whilst not getting flamed for being anti! :good: )

Absolutely! :blink:

The point I wast trying to get across is that there is no shame in enjoying shooting live quarry if your approach is consistent with the points above. It's the closest way I could think of trying to defining the difference between someone who enjoys shooting and someone who enjoys killing.

(whilst not getting flamed for being anti! :blink: )

lots of people on here will deny they like killing.

I hate missing any shot, so by definition i must like killing.

I f people want to shoot 100 pigeons and leave them out for the foxes to feed on instead of Mr Giles,s birds then how are the 100 pigeons wasted.

some people play in farmers fields killing the odd bit of vermin for the table, so be it

some people shoot a few to sell to the dealers, nowt wrong with that.

if they are only shooting what they can sell ,then they are killing for profit surely.

Shooting has plenty of enemy's without our own picking faults.