New shotgun advice

pacman

Hi there,

Now the pheasant season is over its time for me to look at getting some clays broken again, I'm in the market for a new o/u got about £1000-1200 to spend on the right gun,

Looking for 30 - 32" barrels and have been looking at Berretta 686's and Browning 525's any difference between the two, I prefer a heavier bigger gun as I'm 6'4", been shooting with an 28" cheap Investarm for some time with some good results and have just purchased a s/h spanish sbs which I had lengthened and used for the first and last time this season this weekend.

Any advice between the two and where to get the best deal, is it worth waiting for game fairs or just play dealers off to get the right price?

Probably going to be the only new gun I buy so want to make the right choice.

Cheers in advance

Hi

IMHO Miroku MK38 teague would fit the bill perfectly tend to suit bigger chaps, hefty and very stable made to last several lifetimes.

regards

:rolleyes: sound advice re the MK38, I don't like them cause I find them a bit cumbersome bit if you like a heavy gun it'll take a bit of beating.

MK38 for me too, only problem I have had is recently when firing bottom barrel first, the second trigger has not changed over, this has now happened 5 times in the last approx 500 carts, could be the type of cartridge I am using now, or the new recoil pad is absorbing too much inertia energy, apart from that it is superb.

I am the same height as you and recently bought a new Browning 525 30". It is only a grade 1, but I think it looks great and within your budget. I paid a tad of £1000. It was a toss up between the Browning and a Miroku, which were pretty much identical, I just preferred the Balance of the Browning.

Depends on your body shape, but I would have thought the Browning \ Miroku would fit you better than the Beretta.

I bought a new B525 Grade 1 last week, and it comes with flush fitting invector chokes. In the catalogue they show the

B525 Sporter Advance Briley X2 Cal 12M

b525sporteradvance.jpg

and B525 Sporter Premium Gold Cal 12M

b525sporterpremiumgold.jpg

with extended chokes, but I'm guessing these will be over the 1000 - 1200 you said you were looking to spend.

The MK38 Teague is around 1075

Edited by Grumpy Old Git

When I was looking just before Christmas, several of the grade 1 Browings and Mirokus had the extended chokes. It just happened that I did not like the wood finish on the 525's we had out. Shop assistant went out the back and brought out a lovely grade 1 with just the sort of wood finish I was after. It was also slightly cheaper and had flush fitting chokes, so not sure if was a slightly older model. I also prefer the look of flush fitting chokes and it is not often you see something you like more for less!

Pretty sure you could get a Grade 1 525 with extended chokes for your budget.

The MK38 teague sporter comes with 3 x teague extended chokes, great value gun for the money, depending on budget you could go for a grade 1,3 or 5, only difference been engraving on the action and quality of timber, grade 1 still a wonderful gun.

Edited by Andy W

For amazing value, look at the Lincoln Carrera.

Premium wood. 30" with extended chokes. Hard cased. Adjustable trigger. Optic bead. 8mm rib. Ventilated barrels. Modified forcing cones. Adjustable comb, height and L/R. Ventilated rubber pad.

All this with a 3ys warranty for just over a grand.

post-10975-1202938289.jpg

Yes, you guessed, I know where there is one for sale - I'm in Surrey and a dealer.

Clayman

• 2 weeks later...