Lofting

Cosd

Haven't tried it yet.

Bought two flocked full body Pigeons, haven't got/made poles yet.

Every site you look at for decoys, there are lofing poles being sold as well.

Is it an important part of pigeon decoying?

Is it just so that the birds see them from distance so they come closer then spot the deeks on the ground, or is it another form of decoying altogether?

Do you then pop the pigeons whilst they sit in the tree?

Haven't tried it yet.

Is it just so that the birds see them from distance so they come closer then spot the deeks on the ground, or is it another form of decoying altogether?

you have your own answers above

I use a cheap fishing pole to loft and made my own hangers (only cause i can weld and have the kit) good for a roost shoot this time of year or as you say attracting to a sittie tree near your pattern

Haven't tried it yet.

you have your own answers above

I use a cheap fishing pole to loft and made my own hangers (only cause i can weld and have the kit) good for a roost shoot this time of year or as you say attracting to a sittie tree near your pattern

Thanks pavman, I just needed the air clearing. I came to the conclusions by reading bit's and pieces. i couldn't find anything with a clear descripition on the subject

I use 30M of twine and a 8 oz lead weight. Tie the twine to the weight ( which has a strong throwing loop ) sling it over a high branch , attact the decoy to the twine and haul it up like a flag. You can reach 60+ feet with a bit of pratice. One thing , if you think the lead is going to snag when you pack up just hold the lead and cut the string , pull the string through the branches and reattach the lead for next time.

Only attach one decoy per line if there is a wind , otherwise they will swing about and look unatural and set the decoy a few yards to one side. Otherwise the birds will offer you a dificult shot as they try and land above your head.

its sounds like your new to pigeon shooting.

Why dont you buy a good book about it, then ask questions on the bits you dont understand.

He can ask as many questions as he likes, that what this Forum is all about.

I agree with you but what Im saying is if he gets a book which explains and shows diagrams, it might be easier as its a step by step guide, then ask questions and tips on the bits he not sure about.

i quite often put lofters up this time of year mate they can work and not never noticed that much difference but some people wont go without them, I think it is important to put as many up as poss with it not looking to overcrowded.

Do you use the lofting hooks?

I saw a T-bar type thing that holds 2 birds and have made one of those.

I suppose the t-bar means you have to leave the poles in situe, but with hooks you can put up as many as you like....

its sounds like your new to pigeon shooting.

Why dont you buy a good book about it, then ask questions on the bits you dont understand.

He can ask as many questions as he likes, that what this Forum is all about.

I agree with you but what Im saying is if he gets a book which explains and shows diagrams, it might be easier as its a step by step guide, then ask questions and tips on the bits he not sure about.

I appreciate the help dustyfox.

Though I haven't bought any books (yet) I do a lot of reading on the net. What I like about forums is you get a real mix of views and reviews, and how things work out in the real world.

I'm sure I will buy books on shooting as I do like to learn and digest, but as good as they might be, they will be written by one person with his/her experiences....!!

I don't know what design your T bar is, but what most of us do is tie twine to a ring in the middle of it and throw it over a branch.

Lower it down and then fit your decoys on and rainse it back up so it hangs clearly below the "supporting" branch.

A friend of mine has about 10 of these that he made out of thickish wire coat hangers.

Incoming pigeons will not realise they are not sitting on a branch.

Of course this only works in woodland that is reasonably clear.

If it is thick and shrubby then you will need poles.

I appreciate the help dustyfox.

Though I haven't bought any books (yet) I do a lot of reading on the net. What I like about forums is you get a real mix of views and reviews, and how things work out in the real world.

I'm sure I will buy books on shooting as I do like to learn and digest, but as good as they might be, they will be written by one person with his/her experiences....!!

point taken

I don't know what design your T bar is, but what most of us do is tie twine to a ring in the middle of it and throw it over a branch.

Lower it down and then fit your decoys on and rainse it back up so it hangs clearly below the "supporting" branch.

A friend of mine has about 10 of these that he made out of thickish wire coat hangers.

Incoming pigeons will not realise they are not sitting on a branch.

Of course this only works in woodland that is reasonably clear.

If it is thick and shrubby then you will need poles.

I like the sound of using twine; As I mentioned before I haven't got the poles yet, and the thought of adding more weight to my bag doesn't excite.

I am definitely going to give this a try on Sunday with the two deeks I have got already.

I use lofting hooks x5 with full bodied decoys. To get them into the tree i use 1 of my hide poles which has a plastic V on the top before setting up my hide or a spare one which i have 4 ov. If there is a tree near to where u can set up then use it, i think it helps get their attention or buy if you have not allready got a rotary & a couple of bouncers they work well too.

Like a few have already said it's really helpful to read a few books on the subject, not only do they give you loads of info but also get the imagination going.

I've done pigeon shooting on and off for years but recently read "The Pigeon Shooter by John Batley" and "Shooting Pigeons by John Humphreys" both great books in their own right and really give you loads of info....even manged to borrow both from the local library so can't be bad.

Like a few have already said it's really helpful to read a few books on the subject, not only do they give you loads of info but also get the imagination going.

I've done pigeon shooting on and off for years but recently read "The Pigeon Shooter by John Batley" and "Shooting Pigeons by John Humphreys" both great books in their own right and really give you loads of info....even manged to borrow both from the local library so can't be bad.

Your the second person to recomend The Pigeon Shooter, I will definitely invest in that as well.

• 2 weeks later...