flying decoys

apbuild

Hi Guys & Gals,

Thinking of ordering two flocked artificial flying deeks for my magnet. Has anyone used these and what is the story so far as success? I know that real birds on the magnet is really the way to go but If I have to shoot two first, I would need the artificial ones!

I have had two for some time.

They are difficult to transport to your hide, as they are quite large, with fixed outspread wings.

Being flocked and more detailed than normal decoys (wing edges etc), they don't like too much rough treatment.

I make a special journey to the hide, just carrying one in each hand.

They are too heavy for my floaters, but are OK on the rotary device.

When I have dead birds in the freezer, I leave the artificials at home.

'Ere's a fought....

Why not use a couple of dead birds that have been degutted and preserved; like embalmed? They'd go on floaters too. It'd be fairly simple to do, a sort of DIY rough taxidermy effort. I've got a half litre of Formaldehyde in my Retired Chemists Leaving Present (Nicked) Kit.

Advantages...highly realistc, right colour and marking, light weight.

Disadvantages...fragile, bulky, probably make your mates laugh.

Anyone tried it or know about taxidermery?

Regards

Eug

PS Don't mess with Formadehyde unless you know what you're doing.

Everything that Cranfield has said is correct, except that I dont make a seperate trip to the car for them, everything into the one bag, remember.

My recently reported bag of 66 were all shot over two full bodied, flocked and winged deeks fastened to the rotor.

webber

Hi Apbuild,

You sound like me a few months ago when I was just starting to get into this game myself, I put out a message asking for two pigeons so I could place them on the magnet to kick off my shooting.

I thought about buying some flying decoys myself, but they are just not required, if your in the right place to start with then you will have two pigeons for the magnet within 5-15 mins so dont even waist your money on them.

Like me your are looking at having every possible chance of getting a good bag and if that means forking out 25 quid each for them, you are considering this as decent value, but dont bother and get yourself 500 cartridges instead.

Thats my advise,

The PM

I,ve had a pair for some months and find them invaluable.

No real problem carrying as most places I shoot I can drive the RR right to where I,m setting up. If I can't then I carry them, I need to make 2 journeys anyway as I wont take chances being overloaded and risk dropping the gun.

I fit them on the rotor at the start and just leave them on there.

Why break the routine of your shooting to pickup and fit 2 "real" birds. Could be just when the action is getting hot!

I do find however that when several birds are shot, putting these in cradles helps things along.

For what its worth, I normally put the rotor about 50 yards away down wind to attract the birds who then spot the decoys and flight in to feed (on No 6s).

Just my opinion, for what its worth. (Wont brag about numbers shot :lol: )

RTR