stiff back end

the hitman

I had my year old cocker out walking as usual yesterday, he was running fine, but this morning he can hardly lift his back end up. I finally got him out for a little walk, but he hardly left my side and never ran , just walked. He lets me stroke his back with no signs of discomfort . I will try to walk him again soon .

Any ideas before i take him to the vet.

I had my year old cocker out walking as usual yesterday, he was running fine, but this morning he can hardly lift his back end up. I finally got him out for a little walk, but he hardly left my side and never ran , just walked. He lets me stroke his back with no signs of discomfort . I will try to walk him again soon .

Any ideas before i take him to the vet.

I'd get him to the vets mate, don't take any chances - he's just a young fella after all

Stiffness in the back end can be symptoms for many of things...... too many to speculate really....a vet would be better placed to tell you..

I have how known this to happen with my lurchers in the past.....in the garage they sleep on the floor in an area full of straw..... one particualr night the temperatures got down to about minus 6...and the dog got a chill, and was very hunches stiff for the next couple of days....subsequently I put the beds on a raised platform...and never had a problem since.....

hope you get him sorted though :o

My lab got a chill from swimming in cold water a couple of winters ago. This affected her tail, it was obviously painful and she couldn't raise her tail or wag it - nightmare for a lab really. She was over it in a couple of days; hope it's nothing more than that for your fella, keep us updated.

WGD

well before I say any thing to the vets you will go,My springer was like that and it was a gland up its bum the vet

stuck her finger up there and give it a massage and a load of pooh popped out and she was fine but it did do it

again a couple of times.

The good old anal glands are usually given away by the dog doing a fair bit of scooting beforehand. They also usually start to stink once they need emptying - not nice!

I walked him again and he seems slightly better, but still nowhere near right.

Paul , he has,nt been wormed recently. whats your thoughts mate.

As apposed to the obvious stiffness causes cold.... muscular and hips ect....stiffness in the back end can be a symptom of abdominal pain........he could just have a bad does of worms, or indeed a some from of blockage in the intestines

either way he still need looking at :good:

Well he's been to the vet, and had the full examination. His neck , spine, prostrate, abdomin, hips all ok. She thought the muscles in his lumber and hind legs were stiff, but he was not in pain. She gave pain killer , and said don't walk him to hard for a few days and he will make a full recovery.

She also emptied his anal glands :lol: .She thinks he has had a chill with swimming but was not 100%.

Thanks for the replies chaps , his is moving better now. :lol:

what is the river bank like?

Its just possible he's chilled his muscles then strained a muscle trying to get out, its one of those things that will just get better on its own. I know the river near me has steep banks that are slippery so not the easiest to get out of.

what is the river bank like?

Its just possible he's chilled his muscles then strained a muscle trying to get out, its one of those things that will just get better on its own. I know the river near me has steep banks that are slippery so not the easiest to get out of.

Good point mate, i seen him go in ok , but where he came out it was a bit steep for a small dog.