Another info request

monkeyjaimz

Now then guys,

Being as you all did so well in splitting the rocks of ignorance when it came to identifying the belfast/butler sinks. I have another one for you:

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

My thoughts are that it's an old shell casing presumably made in 1941 judging by the markings. Anybody got any thoughts / experiance?

Lancs Lad - I dont have a pair of them, and I doubt that it's from a fine Dublin Home :lol:

Edited by monkeyjaimz

I'ld say its the cap part of a projectile for some sort of naval gun, basically when loading the breech you stick the shell in first then the propellant part i.e. the charge and then the cap which is probably reusable. I've seen naval shells which are basically a big lump of iron for piecing ships hulls, but I've never seen one of these.

Cheers for the info so far guys, on closer inspection there is a series of letters and numbers follwed by the word 'guns' stamped on the bottom - possibly the caliber or regiment etc that used it?

The round **** in the red box below is a peice of wood someone has shoved onto it, presumably to turn it into an ashtray.

DSC00160a.jpg

Looks like a 105mm Naval/artillery gun shell. :lol: Could be something different though..

100% sure that is a shell base. Cant have been anything else (other then melted down brass ornaments collected in the wartime for ammunition manufacturing.

Edited by Hunter