ITCHY DOG

dazza

He can try a small amount of corn oil or cod liver oil about a teaspoon, added to her food.This will help if it is just dry skin and not a medical condition. Also have the dog checked for mange, or a skin fungus. Fungus can develope under a wet collar quiet quickly. As an interm releaf until the vet can figure out exactly what it is your friend can ask to have his dog prescribed prednizone tablets...these are an anti itch and anti inflamitory tablet, and will give the dog relief until the cause can be figured out. Personal note if you are going to try the oil on the food I find that the cod liver oil works best for dogs and the corn oil works best for horses.

One last note tell your friend not to be scarred to take the dog to a second or even third clinic for differant opinions, as sometimes things are overlooked.

Spaniels are very prone to canker in the ear canal which is a blockage caused by a build up of exudite.

This can be caused by a grass seed or some other body lodged in the ear. It has a tell tale smell. Could it be this ?

Also seeds can become lodged into the skin and work their way into the flesh. if the coat is in particularly good condition this can be difficult to detect.

As NTTF suggests seek a second opinion it is easy to over look some causes with out microscopic examination of tissue skin samples. If I had sought a second opinion earlier 5 years ago my best Springer would still be with me.

Some times dogs just scratch because they like it.. I had a Springer once which was inscescently scratching its ears and neck area for no other reason that it once had Canker and found it a pleasureable experience to carry on doing it even after the condition had cleared.

Hi Dazza

I had this problem with one of my Spaniel bitches. It was down to dry skin as NTTF has pointed out, I changed her diet to a complete food that had an 11% oil content plus I add the occassional teaspoon of cod liver oil. Had no problems since!

As FM has mentioned Spaniels are prone to ear problems, they should be checked regularly and kept clean. I check over my dogs daily and at this time of year I trim the fur on the underside of the ear, helps keep them cool. It's also good practice to run a brush or stripping comb through their ears once a week, stops the knots.

Cheers

Hi guys,

picked a few tips up there myself, I was just checking my springers ears the other day and found them to be very dirty compared to my other dog, so I will be including this ear checking as part of a routine from now on.

Guys are there any other problems that springers a prone too?

The PM

• 2 months later...