Getting started

lurcherboy

LB

Took your advice and sent off five today. The letter I wrote was brief, polite and to the point. I live in an area where on one side I have the Peak national park which while scenic does not have a great deal of shootable life and on the other side is the Cheshire plain. Most of this seems to be put up for dairy which again limits the amount of shooting over arable available. I went on to Yell and chose the first five and sent out letters. I will continue to do so until I get a positive, changing the letter each time until I get a good response. Once I do I will post up the letter if anyone wants it to use as a template to do a similar thing. Would It be a good idea for fellow forumers to post up letters that they may have used in the past or are considering using. I know that some people have problems writing letters and it would certainly be a shot in the arm for them if they had a little help to get that piece of land that they have been after for all this time. Maybe the mods could think of putting a section in the land required part of the forum for this purpose.

jimDfish

Hi guys,

I'm glad to hear some one took my advise and called a few as I did.

As I mentioned in my original post, I gained more land in an afternoon than I had managed to get in two years of cold calling in on farmers/landowners.

Lurcherboy I'm not sure if you sent the letters out first or after a call but I just called and had some great results, I think as long as you make it obvious that you dont expect them to give you permission before meeting them, they do seem very keen if they have a problem with vermin.

Very happy with that if its helped some of my fellow shooters get some land.

Made my day lurcherboy ;)

The PM

Here's my letter.

The margins re: addresses etc. should be adjusted.

94 Acacia avenue

sometown

surburbia

OD6 GH$

Home tel:

Mobile:

E-mail:

Date

Name of Farm/Estate

Dear sir/madam,

I appreciate that you are very busy at this time of year but I urge you to take 5 minutes to read this letter.

I am writing to you to offer my services as a pigeon shooter. I have been pigeon decoying, roost & loft shooting for five years.

I respect boundaries, crops & no-go areas. I do not alter hedgerows and never cut any branches etc. to build hides. In fact you will never know I have been shooting but for the fact that I will phone you to ask if its OK first, where I will be and to inform you of how many I have shot.

I am currently shooting at H**** E** Farm operated by Mr D**** ***** in C**********.

I am a member of the BASC and CA and consequently fully insured.

If you feel I may be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

I have enclosed a SAE. I would appreciate it if you would let me know one way or another.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Yours Faithfully

Pigeon shooter

Barring the address at the top, which I now realise I should have done (b@ll@cks) my letter is very much the same as yours. Hope I have a good a response as you but leaving out the address, which I did (b#ll#cks) may have a negative effect as I now realise my letter looks like a circular.(B$ll£cks)

jimDfish

;) :blink: B)

Hallo daft vulcha :huh::angry:

SAE=stamped addressed envelope.

That means include a envelope addressed to yourself with a stamp on it.

There, that should do it, now I will have to go down the corridor and get form 4b to keep quite as the are annoying form 4a.

Kids eh?

LB :/:P