Preserving pheasant wings

deeksofdoom

I have a few pheasant wings in my freezer that I want to use on my dogs dummies for retrieving. Just want to know what's the best way to keep them, should I just let them rot on the dummies making them disgustingly smelly or should I treat them with something like borax to preserve them.

And if so how would I do that?

Edited by deeksofdoom

What about the smell she'll kill me?...... !!!! :innocent:

No smell, if you need to get the wings dried quick kick start it by placing the wing ends in a small plastic bag with a tablespoon of salt in it and leave it 24 hrs. This will draw out a lot of moisture and it`s moisture that gives the ideal conditions for the meat to rot, if the moisture is removed there will be no smell and no rot.

A good few years ago we used to do this with all our duck and woodcock wings to help BASC with keeping track of populations of duck and woodcock.

Don't use the whole wing. Just use the outer section, there's very little meat on it to rot or more importantly, to tempt the dog into chewing it.

Use some butchers string to lash the wings to the dummy. You don't want them to come off too easily.

Don't use for training until the dog will readily give up a plain dummy.

If it wants to play with or explore the dummy with wings on, switch back to a plain one.

When doing the retrieve, don't be in too much of a hurry to get the dummy off the dog.

The activity you want to encourage is that of bringing the dummy to you and dropping it to your feet or hand.

So focus on praising and looking at the dog and not the dummy.

If you make the dummy the focus of attention, the dog will be less willing to give it up because while he's got it, he's got your attention.