correct procedure

the hammer

Don't keep pulling the trigger, the amount of times i've seen that done and i ask myself what they hope this will acheive apart from a suprise bang and god knows what else. Keep the gun pointed down the range, leave it pointed down there for 10 seconds and then open the gun and remove the cartridge. Then give another go.

Gibby

Hiya bud, you dont say what clay disipline you shoot, but for most its much the same,! if you have a missfire, YOU MUST KEEP your GUN pointing down range!! and say in a voice to be heard by the ref, MISSFIRE!.... upon which the ref will check that your gun has , indeed malfunctioned.And not malfunctioned because you did not fully release the trigger after the first shot.... in which case you will be told to take the shot/or pair again..... WHATEVER YOU DO,.... DONT TURN ROUND WAVING YOUR GUN TOWARDS ANYONE IN RANGE,..... as you might have a hang up, In which case the gun might go off and hurt/kill anyone its pointed at>!!

You should shout MISSFIRE or, more correctly HANGFIRE.

Keep your muzzle pointing in a safe direction and keep foccused on the gun and not the competition or the next clay.

Generaly, with modern primers, your cartridge should fire straight away or not at all but, to be safe, you should wait a good sixty seconds before breaking the gun. Make the gun safe

Check for a correct indent on the cartridge. Show the judge if they want.

Put the cartridge aside and finish your turn when instructed.

Give your gun a good clean and if the problem repeats, take it in to a gunsmiths for repair or adjustment.

are you using the new Fiocchi Gold thingys?

friend bought 250 of em at the weekend and had half a dozen misfires over three boxes

after swearing lots and blaming the gun gun he gave me a box of 25 to try and i had three misfires from it :hmm:;)

needless we won't be buying any more

TP

fiocchi top speed 3 are the ones ,same hear mate thought it was my gun but me mate had 500 had the same problem dodgy batch me thinks :no: :yp: ;) get back on the elys.

and as no one has mentioned it i will , take care of the offending shell/s destroy safely, they still have propelant in themand are a live round/cartridge , usualy i cut around the base of the hull and disperse the powder, if you want the wad and shot out, pul your wad,,,,,,,,cup, its always a good idea to let the manufacturer know, e/mail the batch no's or mail the barcode to them.

Martin

If you are in a competition and the cartridge fails to go off, do not open the gun.

If you do, any evidence that its gun / cartridge fault is lost and the target will be declared "lost".

Wait with the gun closed. The referee will check visually that you don't have the safety on (operator error = target lost).

They will then take the gun and try the trigger ( gun goes off safely down range = failure to pull trigger / trigger freeze = target lost).

The ref will then open the gun and cup the cartridge in the chamber to stop it ejecting. They will look to see if the primer has been struck. If it has = gun / cartridge fault. Target again.

Retire any struck carts and try again in practice in the other barrel or a different gun.

As a Ref myself I have to say true cartridge failure is very rare. Most failed detonations are operator error or worn guns / firing pins / weak springs. If you say you are having trouble with a batch of carts, get your gun serviced before you blame the cartridges.

If a cartridge has been twice through the chamber, been struck on the primer both times, then V cut the powder out and hand the shell to the shoot operator for disposal. Burning shell cases is against agricultural waste directives and could result in prosecutions.

Clayman

CPSA Referee