Small opportunity

Davey C

I have been trying to find land to shoot on and after several no thank you's I got a yes at a nursery, my worry with it is that the land is only six acres in size, has houses on two sides and electric cables running over one end. Just wondering that an air rifle may be a better bet than my 12g, May be I,m worrying too much and should just get on with it as there are a few woodies & rabbits there waiting to be shot.

It would be sensible to use an air rifle, or perhaps a hushpower .410, or 12b.

If you go there and create a raft of complaints about noise on your first visit, it may also be your last visit.

Its also likely that on 6 acres, the disturbance of a 12b will probably mean you won't see anything for quite a while.

Thanks for the reply's. I think one of the best bit's of advice came from one of the blokes at the local clay ground who reminded me about fall out. 400 yards is the disatnce I need to be away from any boundary which means it's an air rifle or a bigger piece of land !!!

I wouldn't overly worry about fallout at that distance and i may be wrong but i think 400yrds is pushing it?....

I think most people have shot in situations where distance to houses, roads and footpaths etc. might not be ideal.

In these circumstances you have it dose without saying extra care and vigilance has to be taken....

Like your man said in an earlier post use the 410 :blink:

I remember there was a test in the Sporting Gun mag a couple of years ago, where the maximum distance that the shot (size 6) travelled was 216 metres. That was tested at various angles.

I've also read more recently of a similar test, where they managed 265yds max. Can't remember what shot size that was. I think it was 5.

I think a hushpower at rabbits would be fine anyway.

Hushpower use lower velocity cartridges ,therefore the max distance would be even less.