Duck rounds ?

HMMMM. Good question. I am faced with that prospect as well next season with a 20b. On my shot we have one drive for the duck so its not as if we are at it all the time. With my limited experience, first of all it has to be steel shot by law. Second I would go for an No5 shot to penetrate the thick feathers/body. Thirdly go for a 30gram load. What you have to remember is just not to shoot at to high birds. Its not sporting and they end up dying the next couple of days later.

Old Indian saying. You can not become a hunter if you do not respect your quarry. And how very true.

20b alright for inland duck flighting over ponds, but you are limiting yourself when out in the real open.

I do know guys who shoot geese over decoys with a 20 but personally I don't like it. Its all about the range you shoot at and knowing the capability of yourself and the ammunition you are using.

With my limited experience, first of all it has to be steel shot by law. Second I would go for an No5 shot to penetrate the thick feathers/body.

Not necessarily steel, try bismuth and ITM, especially the buffered load and Tin is useless IMHO. As for shot size, go 2 or 3 (size 3 or 2)shot sizes up for steel and same or one up for the others.

"Not necessarily steel, try bismuth and ITM, especially the buffered load and Tin is useless IMHO. As for shot size, go 2 or 3 (size 3 or 2)shot sizes up for steel and same or one up for the others."

It all depends on the load. If steel is loaded correctly it will outperform bismuth. Loads of study is being done with steel at the moment and it's getting more and more liked every day by wildfowlers.

I have been reloading my own 3 inch 3.75mm for ducks and geese. It kills, and kills well with the right powder / wad / case combination.

I'd be wary of using 20 bore loads of steel though, purely because of the lack of volume of shot you'd be able to get in a 20 bore case, as well as the problem of availability of 20 bore steel wads.

used a 20 for a lot of dog trials and training sessions. A 3" load of #4 fast steel from Kent (offered by gamebore?) will bring ducks down in a hurry out to 35 yd. Haven't tried past that.

A 20b wouldn't be my first choice if I were hunting for ducks, but I'd have no problems shooting ducks with one given the opportunity.

thanks

rick

I have one problem.........steel.....................that problem being , when one shoots more ducks/geese than one can immediatly use one freezes them. When defrosted you tend to end up with rusty ducks/geesse........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lovely.

• 4 weeks later...
if you dont need non-toxic shot them VIP SP32 by ELEY in 5 shot they drop like stones very clean kills from any thing rabbits, pheasants, ducks, pigeons, F16 fighter jets any thing and the good thing is they do a 28gram vertion in 5shot in bismith :yes:

Obviously when shooting Duck In England, Non Toxic is required by law for both Inland and Foreshore. :hmm:

I have a couple of wildfowling firends who both use 20bores. I will ask them what they use.

SS