First session of the year

pigeon master

Hello fellas,

Well the shotgun was dusted down and I was all set for a shoot on Monday morning…I knew a hurricane was forecast but I was so excited nothing was going to stop me.

I was setup on the rape for 7 and because of the rain I‘d setup a bivvy to keep me dry. I just wish that I’d spent a few moments watching where the pigeons were entering the field. I’d setup about 200yds from the flight line and because of the rain I wasn’t pulling them across the field. To add to my misery I’d forgot my flask full of warm tea so my morale was low. :lol::lol:

TIP: Don’t get to excited and setup to quick, pigeons flight lines can change over night so spend some time watching first. :lol: :yp:

I decided to move to the next field but during the move I ended up soaked to the skinâ€even my underpants were wet†It was worth it though because I started getting loads of 10/50 bird flocks coming in…†wow 12 month off the pigeons doesn’t do anything for accuracyâ€. :stupid::lol:

I gave up just after midday, I was too cold and I’d only dropped 16 birds for 75 shells..â€I know it’s very bad†but I enjoyed what was the worst day to attempt to shoot in my life. Driving sleet at 75 mph, nasty!

I ended up going out again today but got there a little late, I bagged 12 in my first hour from 9 till 10 then never saw a bird, apart from a little skylark singing his heart out in search of a mate, great to be back out in the field though. :yp: :blink:

I'm right there with you Pigeon Master :lol: .....Love being out there and the bad days for me are some times the best ie. the birds were flighty, quick on the wing, my head was up my **** and i couldn't hit a barn door for trying too hard :lol::lol: ......All goes to make the good days that bit more memorable :yp: :stupid: ......Either way good days and bad you can always learn some thing from the experience :lol:

Harv,

How bad was Monday buddy….I can’t believe I went to be honest. I had to give up when the body starting going into shivering convulsions. I was surprised that the birds were keen to feed with the conditions, and hitting them when they’re doing 80mph needed me on form..lol :stupid:

LB,

Happy to hear you have days like me mate…made me feel allot better that did. :lol:

For me….just spending the time out in the field is just a real buzz, not to everyone I know, but sitting there watching Lapwings fighting off Rooks from their nesting sites or watching a Skylark sing his heart out for two hours 100m up in strong winds is what makes it all worth while. :lol::lol::lol:

Happy shooting.