Nice session on the rape

Sprinter

Well i wasn't greatly optimistic today it was blowing a hoolie and threatening rain. However pigeon were about when i got to the OSR and so needed shooting at :good:

Before i even started i found an old partridge hovel in the hedge and pulled 3 sheets of corrugated tin off of it. I then placed these in the hedge behind where i was going to build the hide. Not without mishap as i was blown off my feet three times before i got them into position. I then built the hide and set the deeks out. Far too windy for the magnet and i only had 4 dead 'uns too, absolutely no point putting plastic deeks out as they would have ended up in bedfordshire. Pinned three out and put one on my bouncer. By the time i had got to the hide the bouncer was upside down :blink: Turned around and shortened the extension to the minimum and stuck it in almost parallel to the ground.

Into the hide and getting myself sorted out, i turn around and i have a dozen in, cool. It's about now i realise that that either the tins or the hide is in the wrong position or the wind has changed as i'm getting cut in half. Still no matter i drop the next two customers and rearrange the tins behind the hide after i have pegged them out. Back in the hide and drop another couple, by now the tins are hammering together and making an awful racket so i stuff my gunslip, sacks and lunch bag between them to shut them up. As i have a stretch and poke my head above the hide i see one of my decoys walking about, erm hang on a minute, bang another in the bag.

Very very tricky shooting as once over the deeks the pigeon only have to tip a wing and they are halfway across the next field. Pleased to finish up with 20 for 40 shots with one unrecovered (would have been 21)

Edited by Sprinter

Be trying again today, hopefully the wind will have dropped enough to allow me to get the rotary working as there were loads of birds passing my pattern by. They were flying too low to see the deeks on the ground from too far away and the rotary would have pulled them in. It seems to work really well here as long as you can cover up all of the shiny bits if the sun is out (it's a big old fashioned thing that weighs about 1/3 of a ton, i really ought to buy or make a new one)

So i should have a nice pattern all being good, 20 odd real deeks on the deck, 2 on the whirly-gig and 2 on bouncers :good:

Bet there isn't a pigeon in sight - lol

Good luck Sprinter, hope you have a good day !.

Went out for a drive round yesterday, and despite near perfect conditions i only saw a few small groups on the fields.... none were on Rape, and they appeared to prefer fields of peas to fresh drillings...... maybe a taste thing?

Gotta get out soon .... i miss walking the fields :lol:

Dave :good:

Not a sausage about today. But some clouds do have silver linings.

However i spent my time mooching about the locality chatting with the farm hands and discovered that i have 8 more fields of OSR that i wasn't aware of about 3 miles away from my mainstay. According to Mr Farm Hand they have been hammering it. Didn't get confirmation of permission from Mr Farmer till late in the day but had a wander around after and have discovered some ready made hides, so i guess someone who should've been keeping a closer eye on it hasn't been !!