Ferret Hutch

monkeyjaimz

Now then guys, as stated in an earlier thread. I'd been thinking of keeping ferrets for a long while and after the kind offer of help and advice from a friend, I decided to go ahead with the idea.

I've been working on the hutch for a few days after work, it's on four levels with the sleeping area at the top and three 'floors' beneath it all linked by ladders.

The bottom floor will have a hammock and tree stump aswell so the ferts should be able to keep themselves reasonably entertained etc.

Let me know what you think anyway.

Jim.

The Work In Progress:

DSC00081.jpg

The Ground Floor:

DSC00086.jpg

The 1st Floor:

DSC00085.jpg

The 2nd Floor:

DSC00084.jpg

And Finally, The Top Floor or Mezzanine :lol: :

DSC00083.jpg

So the almost finished article now looks like this:

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

Point taken Big Bob, but I find the ferrets get a lot more exercise running up and down a block of flats than they do running across the floor of a mansion.

I find this design suits as I have a small garden, plus you do not have to kneel down to clean the place up, which at my age is a bonus.

I clean mine out every eve, just scoop the poop, and re saw dust and a wash out with bleach at the week end.

If you used it on it's side would the ferrets have more floor area :w00t:?

Actually, no. The square footage is greater as it is. But to be honest, my main aim was to give them a decent sleeping area seperate and lots of seperate rooms to keep them entertained and excercised etc. My new house hasnt got the biggest garden either, although eventually I might put a tunnel in there and connect it to another run or something :w00t:

It looks good, but I would have also been inclined to have it on its side.

The main problem with run design is identifying the toilet area.

If they decide to use one of the upper floors as a toilet area, it can create problems on the lower floors.

When its all on one level, this problem doesn't occur.

I once had a hutch layout that had a small wire barred area (cut out of an old birdcage) in one corner and the ferrets obligingly used it as the toilet area , with an old cat litter tray underneath, it was a joy to clean them out.

• 3 weeks later...