good enough to compete

Axeman1984

I see that a lot of you out there shoot competitions and I was thinking of entering a few this year, I shoot sporting clays and average mostly mid 70s, on a good day I can get in the low 80s that’s rarely though, so would this be good enough to compete or at least not make a **** of myself say in the C bracket at some C P S A comps.

cheers fenman....... :good:

Sounds like pretty good shooting. With averages like that you would go into B class after a few shoots and maybe even A if you were getting low 80's. Just go for it. When i started shooting i was taken along to Registered shoots within a couple of weeks to get my head around new targets and experiance testing shots. And if you end up starting in C class you'll be able to pick up a bit of cash before they move you up.

Gibby

Don't worry about making a **** of yourself, it doesn't matter. Registered competitions are great experience at shooting different and tougher targets. It'll raise your game.

You may be disappointed with your scores. I usually shoot into the early 80's when it's club targets, but on a registered course, in a competition, it crashes to the 60's or maybe early 70's

Don't be intimidated by a few prima donnas :good:

They miss too :blink:

There's usually quite a few intermediate shooters in a registered comp, even if they're just shooting "birds only" which is what I do :good:

Go along and enjoy it :lol:

Cash depends on number of entries in each class. A few i used to shoot had a guarenteed payout for each class where first was along the lines of £40-£50, not alot but it pays for your shoot and more. They also had £100 high gun dedicated to a class that changed each shoot, so would roll from a class to b class, it gave everyone a fair crack at winning some money without having to compete against the big boys. Wouldnt really enter the comps just for the cash, wons didnt come my way too often but it was nice when they did.

Gibby

Fenman, get yourself down to Barrow Heath on Sunday - the Essex massive and Stu S will be there by all accounts.

Surely will be! I tend to start at around 11am at the burger van!

Not sure if any one fancies this also, but there is a young farmers shoot on at Stowlangtoft near Bury tomorrow, a 40 bird open if my memory serves me, i will be there, starts at 1130am.

Stu

There is no such thing as being "good enough" for competition - every one is good enough. The system is designed to allow every ability to compete in classes from D to AAA ( the full range varies according to discipline and level of competition).

Its pointless waiting till you are good enough to go straight in at A or B, getting into competitions at an early stage will do more to improve your scores than anything else bar good instruction / mentoring.

If you want to shoot true competition, the only way to do it is to join the CPSA ( for England). There are International competitions shot under ISSF and FITASC rules too, but you'll need to move through the CPSA levels before you try those. True CPSA competition allows you to shoot for a whole series of new objectives.

To lift you average ( all scores are recoded and posted back to the CPSA computer)

To get up a grade, go from c to b to A to AA etc

To beat your personal best

To win your class that day

To win the High Gun that day

To get in the county team

To be County / regional champion in the discipline

Dont wait, just do it, join the CPSA as a full competition member and get down to your next competition shoot.

You can try one out by buying a day ticket at some grounds ( allows non-cpsa members to partake in the competition round as though they were a member, giving you the experience of competition mode.

Clayman