Slight Problem?!?!

Edward

Ok here is my problem.

I went and set up on a patch of rape that I had seen pigeons dropping into for 3 days running so I decided to set up (20yrds from the flight line) and try out my new silli socks that go over the deeks, and my new foamie winged deeks on the magnet, so I got every thing setup hide and all and walked about 150yrds out to see if anything looked wrong, (the sillosocks socks lookeed exeptionally good), sat there for 4 hours saw ****** all, two birds started to come in and jinked away.

Anyway this has happend twice now and its starting to get annoying :angry::hmm: :hmm: :good:

Any help?:lol:?:hmm:

The mere fact that you saw ****** all for several hours suggests that the birds had another feeding field and did not want to return to your field once disturbed.

As others have said it could be the sun reflecting off the magnet arms, some days this is important on others the birds do not seem to mind. A lot of people just set up the magnet and that’s that. If the birds are playing up I often find its often worth moving the magnet to try various positions . Skilful use of a magnet will enable you to control the flight path of the birds. And do not set the magnet on the outside edge of the decoys. If you set it inside or in the decoy paten the birds will pick up its movement and become attracted , but transfer their attention to the decoys as they get closer. Its outside the paten the birds will often fail to commit and pass the outside edge of the paten.

I often find that if the pigeons are flaring off its a hide problem rather than the magnet, but try switching off the magnet and use it as a bouncer. If the birds still flare off then it is likely to be something else.

Does your hide match its background ?

Maybe its too dark or in need of some decoration with local foliage.

With some of the light realtree hides the sun casts your shadow on it when its behind you. The birds will quickly pick that up.

Is it too solid ?

I often find a light hide covering that the birds can to some extent see through better than a solid wall of cover. Of course your clothing must match the background and you must keep still until you are ready to shoot.

Is your hide in strong sunlight?

The birds will sometimes quickly pick out a hide in full sun , while ignoring one in shade.

Are u wearing glasses and are they reflecting the sun?

Have you got a good background for your hide?

The birds will quickly pick you out if you have no background.

And of course your decoys need to set right and not be shiny.

Try using dead birds on your magnet? ( I know you have to shoot 2 first !

I often find pigeons flare away from solid flapping decoys.

There are 100 and 1 other reasons for spooky birds , but are you sure nobody has shot the birds recently . I have a couple of fields surrounded where a pigeon guide shoots next door and the birds there always spooky there.

Edited by anser2

All of the suggestions made are good ones, but the best one is the one that suggests the birds may have not been there to begin with.

I obviously don't know the geography of where you were, but if you were looking around all the time, you would have seen the pigeons probably before they saw you (or the decoys).

If they came towards you, but constantly then flared off, then check your hide, layout etc., but if you only saw a couple then I wouldn't think you have a major problem.................except no pigeons today. :good:

Ok thanks for that :lol:

One thing that I have just thought of is that there has been a gas banger down the other end of the field but now its GONE :good:;)

I was using a bushwear chair hide in the sun(with a stupdly desind whit interior) so thats probaly why they jinked off, I have knocked up some more poles so I can use the net again.

I will put some tape on to the magent.

And I will try somewhere elts( I have got my eye on a bit o' drilling down the road covered in pigeons) :good:

Thanks

• 1 month later...