>22 cal Sound Moderators ?

new to the flock

NTTF, I recall a recent test of proofed .22 mods, which rated the (rare) Vaime moderator as giving the best sound attenuation. If I remember correctly, the SAK and ASE mods came second and third in the test. I have both SAK and Parker Hale .22 mods, and they both seem to offer comparable noise suppression. I might buy myself one of the new Brugger & Thomet mods though, as they have had good write-ups and look very steely.

The only compression-fit mods that I have seen have been (useless) over-barrel ones made by Hushpower for .410s. I would imagine that only by threading can the mod fit precisely.

SAK mods are pretty hard to beat, I reckon.

Are there differrent types, compression fit, screw on, etc?

What are the differences in the different modles and brands?

What is the "Best" model thought to be?

Cheers,

NTTF

Hi nttf, I had the metal Parker Hale mod, heavier, longer, louder and more expensive, then fitted the plastic SAK which proved to be the opposite in all respects, so imo it has to be the SAK.

The SAK is also very much easier to take down and clean.

:good: D2D

Ive got a venom mod on my custom ruger and a parker hale on my underleaver marlin 39a originally had a sak on it but the large diameter meant i had to take it off every time i loaded the magazine tube so switched it for the parker hale. I mainly use cb longs through it for the rats and all you hear is the firing pin and the bullet strike.. :good:

Edited by luckytrigger

I have 2 Sako mods and the Baffle is GRP but the outside is defianately metal (and FWIW very effective).

Also getting a PES fitted to my Ruger as we speak so it will be interesting to see how that performs.

I dont personally rate the SAK (far too fiddly to strip and clean) but it is cracking good VFM.

Me mate and I both use SAK mods on both our17 hmr's and they are very good value at £30. We tried out a Wildcat, supposed to be the dogs, at £140 it should have been, but the one we tried was **** with a hell of a report off it. Took it back to the shop the next day for a refund. .22 LR with a SAK mod you should just hear a click and a thump! :good:

D2D, there's nothing plastic on the SAK moderators. It's all machined aluminium.

I know that Sako sold a mod made of plastic.

Thanks, having just looked at it closely,you are 100% right it is alloy that just goes to show how light it is. I always thought the casing was some kind of plastic material.

:good: D2D