Cumbria Carlisle area

straightshooter1

hi guys well I do allready have some land that I do a bit of rough shooting on but at the moment the farmer that rents the land is lambing so preffers no interuptions

So I was wondering if there is any local chaps round here who can get me out of the house before I go stir crazy there is only so many gunstocks I can repair :yes: and I'd be happy to return the favour when the lambing is over prefer shotgun and am fully basc insured please help also I don't mind travelling a reasonable distance I run my own business so am available day night week days and weekends and I have a descent stock of catridges :hmm:

Unfortunatley £150 isn't a drop in the ocean to some people!

£150 is enough to almost pay for my car insurance for a year

£150 is about the same as 10 weeks groceries for myself and Son

or £150 is the cost of 1000 CHEAP game carts :hmm:

To SOME the £150 is a pittance but to ME it's a HUGE amount of money to put up forward :yes:

I understand permissions are getting harder to come by these days and are getting few and far between as I looked about for the past 3 years or so for one.

In the past (near 20 years aog) there was so much permission you couldn't keep up with the demand from the farms but NOW the sport has spread and there are SO many shooters after permission most areas are swamped OR you have big corperations like the NPPC capatalising on it so in some area's you have no choice but to pay if you want on the shooting wagon so to speak!

I tried for 3 years till I eventually found a shoot but had to work beating for a season to get the pigeon shooting! I refuse outright to have to PAY instead I offer help to the land owners in return for shooting which works out well for both parties.

I save £150 and the land owner gets free labour even cleaning out byres etc should I need to!

Personally I have done Beating Cleaning Fence Repairs Tree clearing and a whole deal of other things to keep permissions.

I have shot with Straightshooter on his permission in Cumbria and durin the season have had Hares Snipe Woodcock Duck AND geese flighting over.

He also has Crows Rooks etc and even a few charlies wandering the fields there!

It's just sad for some of the new commers who are looking for land that to get shooting they find their only option is to PAY for it :hmm:

My advise would be for ANYONE looking for vermin shooting to find their local game shoots approach the gamekeepers and ask about beating through the season OR helping with rearing making pens etc in return for vermin shooting out of season!

I have had 3 keepers days this year alone. The guns pay a £3000 syndicate fee PLUS £25 a bird I beat the season and got 3 shoots with 40 birds all in so not ONLY got FREE vermin (pigeon rabbit shooting) but ALSO was given the privalige to shoot game on the estate for free! :yes:

Straight shooter has posted Leaflets and cards through a LOAD of farms in his area and to date has still to receive a reply it's not like he is an armchair permission seeker!

south Durham and all down the AI through north Yorkshire but I noticed you drive a landy now that could cost some fuel. Now then sat here for

5 mins and decided that you can come with me on my permisson but it will be when the farmers have ploughed and drilled which hopefully will

in the next couple off weeks and there is a lot crops to go in so I will pm you when the fields are ready ok matey. Carbine

cheers Carbine :good: it's food for thought can you tell me do they have any land close to me :blush: even though I really wanted to get to meet some new people as I only moved up here 6 months ago so it's not just shooting well yes it is but not just to shoot if that makes sence

if i had seen this earlier you would have been able to come out with me tomoz but its a bit late now bud sorry il let you know if out else comes up

Im just south of Kendal, the shooting's good round here but pretty heavily populated (each permission has quite a few guns on it). Also, much of the land down this way is estate owned therefore a SOAB to get written permission for.

There's a bit more space up your way though, if you get to plenty of good local boozers (esp after auction days) you should meet the farmers from roundabout who would be only too happy for a few more pigeon bashers! Esp Southwaite area.

Keep it up mate!

Im just south of Kendal, the shooting's good round here but pretty heavily populated (each permission has quite a few guns on it). Also, much of the land down this way is estate owned therefore a SOAB to get written permission for.

There's a bit more space up your way though, if you get to plenty of good local boozers (esp after auction days) you should meet the farmers from roundabout who would be only too happy for a few more pigeon bashers! Esp Southwaite area.

Keep it up mate!

CHEERS mate have knocked on loads of doors and posted loads of leaflets even went to the trouble of laminating then and put them up in shops hairdressers etc. I'm sure something will turn up eventually thats the problem with moving to a new area. down south I had around 8000 acres to play with and a friend who was a game keeper he looked after tons of land so I used to go with him when he was out pest controlling

Hi there Millomite hows it going

hi lord geordie where do you shoot as i am struggling also to find land to go at i also was considering joing the nppc but like you £150 is a lot of money if you ever allow it i would appreciate going out for a shoot with you i am fully insured through the national gamkeepers

cheers

darren ;)

hi lord geordie where do you shoot as i am struggling also to find land to go at i also was considering joing the nppc but like you £150 is a lot of money if you ever allow it i would appreciate going out for a shoot with you i am fully insured through the national gamkeepers

cheers

darren ;)

Darren!

If I could I would LOVE to take any member out shooting but My shoot is on a 10.000 acre game estate and the keepers rules are (if you want to shoot here you work for it) his words not mine!

I had to work a whole season (free of charge of course) at the cost of approx £500+ to secure my shooting and the keeper does not take kindly to us taking others that he does not know or trust!

If you want shooting I would HIGHLY recommend approaching a keeper on a decent size local estate and asking them if they want beaters etc and work out a deal with the keeper (free beating for shooting out of season) you also get a few days game shooting at the end of the season which was MORE than worth the £500+ I lost out on :D

I normally go shooting with Straight Shooter and even there we both need to WORK to keep the shoot clearing fallen trees repairing fences etc it's hard work at times but it's the only way to get shooting nowerdays. Alternativley you COULD always join the borders pest control incase any jobs come in in the local area! I will PM you the details!!!

LG

cheers

darren ;)

hi dazag12 Lord Geordie just gave me a call re yourself you are more than welcome to come down with LG onto my permission when the lambing season is fully over there is a farmer who rents the land and doesn't like shooting during this period stay in touch it's a great bit of land not the biggest but great fun we all need to help eachother out thats the only way our sport will survive and flourish :D

Edited by straightshooter1