Copper Shot

copper plated shot maybe. Copper plated is a way to 'slick' the outside coating and harden the lead a bit. Supposed to give tighter patterns, kinda like nickel coated shot. However, you can do the same with a higher antimony shot and a little bit of buffer. Plated shot were pushed a bunch, but the manufacturers are starting to back down a little on it.

thanks,

rick

I am not sure about the Eley copper plated shot , but the 1 7\8oz lead winchester with copperplated shot and buffering was the best cartridge ever made for long range shots.

their the ones i like for my longrange crows dont want to fire to many thou ehh :blush: is it the winchester supreams £14 a box in shot size 4 and 6 :good:

Game shot should flatten on impact to make a more destructive entry. Most game shot is therefore not high in antinomy that hardens the whole pellet and increases the pellets crush value.

Nickel plated shot also has a hard "crust". So the solution to stop pellets elongating as they roll out the barrel, and then fly ineffectively wide, is to copper plate low antinomy shot.

Now you get improved patterns while the shot will still flatten and increase the kill prospects on impact.

Clayman