pain in the pocket

stu

I went to the local gun club last week and had a few shots with a pre.charged air rifle.I was instantly hooked I had a HW 77 spring But ive got my self a webley raider. There go.s my xmas money. Wot do the members think of the pre.charged Air rifles i was told they where the lazy shooters gun but i was hooked. It felt strange having no kick with it. :D

Hi Stu,I've only had very limited dealings with pre charged rifles but what i have seen of them seems very good,eg nice and quite with a silencer (no spring noise)easily reloded with a minimum of movement and noise and you can get some nice light ones as well.the only thing to put me off is the extra equipment needed to fill them and remembeing to fill it before you go out.Therewas a time when they were very expensive but like most things seem to have come down a bit as they get more common i must admit i have been quite tempted lately to buyone myself

hi neil I managed to pick a divers bottle up plus an adapter. I get about 65 shots out of a full charge. Im just waiting to hear about my f.a.c. Fingers crossed old bill funny round here. Then should get about 28 to 29 pounds instead of 12 pounds legal limit.

pre charged are ace,I have an air arms 410 carbine as soon as i fired it i knew it was fof me,A friend has a rapid 7 which is adjustable from 12-30 pft,very acurate.

the only down side is filling them,oh and carying them in the car as the insurance may be void,

but overall very enjoyable.

I have an Air Arms S200 which I bought to replace my old spring gun.  It came complete with silencer, and I fitted it with a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster scope.  I should have replaced my old gun sooner as there's absolutely no comparison.  It's great for sitting pigeons, rabbits, and rats.  

After clearing away for the night, I have a walk around and see if I can get any rats.  Once I shot at a rat, missed, reloaded and shot the rat and killed it.  The gun was so qiet that the rat never heard the first shot and didn't move.  I find that it is very accurate for what I use it for, and if I rest it on a fence, I can pull off some really long shots.  When the scope is set up correctly, I can get a really tight grouping when target practicing.

Most dive shops charge the same (couple of quid) to charge a 207 bar or a 300 bar. Also doesn't matter either whether it's a big bottle or a small one, the price is the same. Pre-charged are no more accurate than springers but are MUCH easier to shoot accurately, requireing much less input from the shooter to achieve consistent results.

• 4 weeks later...

Had lot of good quality air rifles over the years, but pcp,s are by far the easyest to shoot. even my yougsest lad can hit 1inch targets at 30 yds no prob and he,s only 11.

the guns I use are AA s310 pcp and ive just sold an AA, Pro sport, I wished no I hadnt, lovely spring gun, but if your going spring and its on fac go for the Pro elite, not as nice to look at,  but has the edge one power.

jim

i have been shooting a few times with my brother when he goes pigeon shooting with his mates, i dont have a shotgun certificate but iam thinking of buying a airgun, any of u guys recommend a good airgun, the main thing i want to use it for is rabbits and pigeons but i dont want to spend too much as i a starter

Mahmood there will be other guys here who will give you better airgun advice than me but are you over 17 as the law looks like changing any minute.You could end up buying it this week and having to get rid of it next. Just a thought and welome to the madhouse for shooters. :D  8-)

Ifyour after a good but cheapish airgun you could do a lot worse than weihrauch,they are good quality for the money,webley is another good make and british to :D .Best thing to do is go to a few gun shops and have a look and get the feel of some different makes and models

I've never tried one but i have used quite a few webleys and cant recall a bad one(only badly treated ones ??? )if you want tot get one mail order your bestbetis to buy some mags and look in the ads,i find gunmart very good for this,i've just had a quick flick through and henry krank  www.henrykrank.com is selling them for165 ,jcramsbotom has got them for 162 (i'm assuming they dont include silencers for that money but may be wrong)have you tried any local shops,i have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times by the prices from mine and you can get a feel for hem aswell,also bear inmind that if yu buy mail order and it turns up damaged or has to go back under warrenty its a pain in the bum to you ,some mail firms dont deliver guns etc.hence i send trombones if the the man at the po asks :D  ???

Mahmood - before you rush out and buy a shotgun (that is after you have your certificate), I would advise you to try a few out before you buy.  The stock length must be right for you.  To short or too long and you will tend to miss the target.  

At the moment, you can get some very good side by sides (non-ejector) shotguns cheaply, say under £250 from a reputable gundealer.  As long as the gun is in good condition, the next most important thing is the fit.

The gun I shoot best with only cost me £150 (although I did have to spend some money on it to get it in good order).  I wouldn't get an ejector gun to begin with, but wait and see how you get on, and what is comfortable.

I had a sbs ejector, but found that I didn't really need it to eject (it was more trouble picking up the cartridge cases).  In the end, I decided to sell it and get a good non-ejector.

Barrel length is really personal preference, but I would suggest that if you are about 6 feet tall, go for 30" barrels, five foot 8", go for 28" barrels.

There are also many good over and under guns available.  Again, the price depends on what you get for it.  

You generally get what you pay for.  If you buy a cheap gun (under £100) and you will usually have problems, or have to spend money on it to get it right.  Try to get the gun dealer to give you some kind of guarantee.

Regarding bore sizes, to begin with, unless you are of a very light build, I would get a 12 bore as it is the most widely available.

Buy your gun from a reputable gundealer, or if you are buying it from a private seller, arrange for it to be checked out by a gunsmith before you part with your money.

Have a look at the topic "Proof and Buying a Shotgun" posted last month.

...And, oh yes.....  don't buy a hammergun as your first shotgun :D