my 410 with home made silencer

radio1ham

well as no one round my neck of the woods sells the silencer for the 410 i decided to set about making one and is now nearly finished

all i need to do is to try it out but il do that when i make up some sub sonic cartridges through the week

it not the best looking thing i must admit but all being well it should do the trick

il post what it is like soon as i have had a chance to try it out

and also no big lump is left on the gun when it is removed unlike the commercial ones which leave a big round lump about 2 inches down from the muzzle

post-11030-1208685275.jpg

Edited by radio1ham

ok guys i was asked if i had any more pics of it and silly me never took any but dont worrie if it works ok il strip it down and post the pics so you all can see how i done it the total cost is maybe the same as a couple of pints or a pack of ciggys (not a great lot)

im going to load some sub sonics to try it with and all being well it should work ok even if it just takes away the initial crack away il be happy

so soon as ive tryed it il post the results to let you all know how it goes :hmm:

Big uh-oh here....

There is a reason for proof marks on metal moderators. This is because the pressure produced at the muzzel is very high. I seriously hope that you know what you are doing (no offence) as I would hate to see an injured PW member.

Never underestimate the power/danger that even a little .410 yeilds.

Sorry to sound like a safety nazi.. I have seen many photos of home made silencer 'incidents' after people using black pipe, duct tape and all sorts. :hmm:

IMO I only feel safe shooting a correctly fitting steel mod, with a proofed thread and pressure test. In the cabinet I have a large (and heavy) moderated Mossberg 500 barrel, which is well built with a mix of welds and threaded tube to hold it in place. To make it actually work, the barrel needs a number of venting holes drilled into it (il try post some pics of it later) and a large space for the expanding gases to be contained. Its useless without subsonic carts. I seiously hope that no one attempts this project unless you are a skilled craftsman with metal work and know what you are doing.

Edited by Hunter

Big uh-oh here....

There is a reason for proof marks on metal moderators. This is because the pressure produced at the muzzel is very high. I seriously hope that you know what you are doing (no offence) as I would hate to see an injured PW member.

Never underestimate the power/danger that even a little .410 yeilds.

Sorry to sound like a safety nazi.. I have seen many photos of home made silencer 'incidents' after people using black pipe, duct tape and all sorts. :D

IMO I only feel safe shooting a correctly fitting steel mod, with a proofed thread and pressure test. In the cabinet I have a large (and heavy) moderated Mossberg 500 barrel, which is well built with a mix of welds and threaded tube to hold it in place. To make it actually work, the barrel needs a number of venting holes drilled into it (il try post some pics of it later) and a large space for the expanding gases to be contained. Its useless without subsonic carts. I seiously hope that no one attempts this project unless you are a skilled craftsman with metal work and know what you are doing.

I have an S&G silencer (oh sorry moderator :yes: ) on my webley and scott .410.....there aint no proof markes on that!!! And they posted it to me! (OK before the VCR came into effect)

well i went out last night for a couple of hours and took it with me but did not have any subsonic cartridges so i used 2 1/2 inch cartidges and it seemed ok it took away the initial crack away when fired and the was a fair bit noise still but no loud bang the sheep were pretty close to me and they didnt seem bothered by the noise and also the crows in the tops of the trees were a bit wery but they did fly off and soon came back so i guess if the crows arent to worryed about it it seems ok to me it may still need to do a bit more work on the silencer

il get my mate to pace out 100 yards and see what the noise is like , as i was close to the woods and there was some echoing noise when fired which may of made it sound louder than it was so il try it out in the open and see what the difference is

ive yet to try 2 inch cartridges in it it may be better with those il try them also next time i go out

so its looking good so far

il keep you all posted of progress and soon as i have got it the way i want it to work il strip it down and take pictures and write instructions

so if anyone wants to have a go at making one well so far it has cost me the price of a packet of ciggy`s

well i went out last night for a couple of hours and took it with me but did not have any subsonic cartridges so i used 2 1/2 inch cartidges and it seemed ok it took away the initial crack away when fired and the was a fair bit noise still but no loud bang the sheep were pretty close to me and they didnt seem bothered by the noise and also the crows in the tops of the trees were a bit wery but they did fly off and soon came back so i guess if the crows arent to worryed about it it seems ok to me it may still need to do a bit more work on the silencer

il get my mate to pace out 100 yards and see what the noise is like , as i was close to the woods and there was some echoing noise when fired which may of made it sound louder than it was so il try it out in the open and see what the difference is

ive yet to try 2 inch cartridges in it it may be better with those il try them also next time i go out

so its looking good so far

il keep you all posted of progress and soon as i have got it the way i want it to work il strip it down and take pictures and write instructions

so if anyone wants to have a go at making one well so far it has cost me the price of a packet of ciggy`s

What are you making your baffles and tube out of?

Cheers

"Hunter;To make it actually work, the barrel needs a number of venting holes drilled into it (il try post some pics of it later) and a large space for the expanding gases to be contained. Its useless without subsonic carts. I seiously hope that no one attempts this project unless you are a skilled craftsman with metal work and know what you are doing."

Not correct, the purpose of vent holes on a moderated shotgun is to reduce the speed of the shot and propellant gases in a standard cartridge to below the speed of sound (subsonic). Using subsonic cartridges with a muzzle-mounted moderator means that these vent holes are not required.

A 300 Winchester magnum with a moderator does not need holes drilled in the barrel, what makes you think that a 410 would?

Also the propellant gases do not need to be contained, they only need their speed of exit slowed to subsonic speeds.