Bullet stop

bob300w

Thought that some may like to see my bullet stop, it's been hit by an assortment of around 10,000 - 223, 243, 308 and 300Win mags, 99% of which were soft nosed. It is, or was, one inch thick steel plate. the plate has come out of the guide at the top left because it has gone convex shaped. Incredible what lead and copper will do to steel!

post-1705-1210750061.jpg

Edited by bob300w

You wern't s'posed to hit the frame Bob :lol:

Interesting how the plate buckles away from the shot side - like maybe oxidisation is expanding that side, or the now larger surface area side expands more when warm?

Don't advertise where its located - the ****** will be round to dig up the lead :good:

Edited by Dave-G

Interesting how the plate buckles away from the shot side - like maybe oxidisation is expanding that side, or the now larger surface area side expands more when warm?

Don't advertise where its located - the ****** will be round to dig up the lead :lol:

Err, when you forget to take a paper target to check your zero, you have to shoot at something! :good: Mind you that does not explain all of the 'spare' holes :D

I don't understand why the plate buckled that way either, I would have expected it to go the other way, the damaged face appears to have enlarged, as you say, and is bigger than the back face, like peening in reverse (do wot?) puzzling innit?

"Is that going to stop my FMJ's on saturday Bob?"

I was going to get a larger plate as you are coming, and move it a bit closer! :lol:

"that looks brill mate nice one im going to have a go at makeing some target frames"

If you are going to follow my pattern, make a bigger gap between the target holder and the backstop than I have, I would suggest at least one foot as splash from the bullets comes back through the plywood target support and paper targets, shredding them on occasion.

"haha cool you put it in a art gallery and you never no you might get a crazy person paying millions for it."

There you go, a retirement investment for you, 100 notes and it's yours! :good:

Don't advertise where its located - the ****** will be round to dig up the lead :lol:

Err, when you forget to take a paper target to check your zero, you have to shoot at something! :good: Mind you that does not explain all of the 'spare' holes :D

I don't understand why the plate buckled that way either, I would have expected it to go the other way, the damaged face appears to have enlarged, as you say, and is bigger than the back face, like peening in reverse (do wot?) puzzling innit?

I was going to get a larger plate as you are coming, and move it a bit closer! :lol:

"that looks brill mate nice one im going to have a go at makeing some target frames"

If you are going to follow my pattern, make a bigger gap between the target holder and the backstop than I have, I would suggest at least one foot as splash from the bullets comes back through the plywood target support and paper targets, shredding them on occasion.

"haha cool you put it in a art gallery and you never no you might get a crazy person paying millions for it."

Ha bleeding ha.

It is meant to be pouring down with rain saturday and I ain't taking my pride and joy out in the rain.

Ha bleeding ha.

It is meant to be pouring down with rain saturday and I ain't taking my pride and joy out in the rain.

Why do I get the feeling that LV is going to respond to this comment?

Edit; Just checked the BBC weather, rain Friday, fine Saturday, next excuse?

Edited by bob300w

I was going to say you miss more to the left than you do to the right, but I guess you already know that.

The middle shot of the group of 3 on the right hand fram is anice one, straight through the front rail upright into the back upright - quite frightening really.

Someone put a picture up on here of a steel plate with a hole straight throught it (deadeye ive?) from an FMJ, that was quite scary too.

Eeerrrrrmmmm,

I haven't got any ammo :good::lol:

No problem, I've got plenty, you can also bring some of your empty cases and we can load some.

No more excuses Bob, I will be there on saturday and I have plenty of blamanition.

We may have to put that stop out to 5or 600 yards though, I don't do close in stuff

Most of the damage is to the left hand side?

Do you tend to favour that side or is there a reason

why most of the damage is over to the Left?

Cracking photos though, How long did it take to put all

them in there?

Cheers taz.

I was going to say you miss more to the left than you do to the right, but I guess you already know that.

The middle shot of the group of 3 on the right hand fram is anice one, straight through the front rail upright into the back upright - quite frightening really.

Someone put a picture up on here of a steel plate with a hole straight throught it (deadeye ive?) from an FMJ, that was quite scary too.

Surprisingly, FMJ does not noticeably do any more damage to a steel plate than soft nose or hollow point, even steel cored fmj does not show any improved penetration. It would be interesting to try some armour piercing, if anyone has a few heads knocking about?

Surprisingly, FMJ does not noticeably do any more damage to a steel plate than soft nose or hollow point, even steel cored fmj does not show any improved penetration. It would be interesting to try some armour piercing, if anyone has a few heads knocking about?

That's interesting Bob, we were doing some long range work on Saturday, steel plate at 735 yards with my 6.5 x 47.

I was shooting 120gn Nosler ballistic tips and 123gn Lapua Scenars. Both loaded with 41gns RL15, CCI BR4 primers, and both

just kissing the lands.

The Scenars were doing noticably more damage to the plate than the Noslers. We put it down to the higher BC of the target rounds

carrying more 'punch' to the target.

Bob,

I think I have, I will check tonight.

I know one competition we were all issued with AP. I did not know at the time but NATO ammo has a colour coded paint around the primer.

Martin, it depends on the age of the ammo, and country of origin, early designs of SAA had the primer annulus coloured to show the type of loading, The only annulus colours in use for many years now are purple for ball and red for tracer, although some tracer is now purple.

The only reliable method of telling AP is by the bullet tip colour, it should have a black bullet tip if made to NATO standards.

You could put a magnet on it, but some ball ammo was mild steel cored, and some is 50/50 lead/steel so that's not a positive test.

Tell me the head-stamp and any markings and I will identify it (possibly).

Stuartp; Possibly you would see a difference on thin plate, I was referring to the one inch plate that I use as a backstop, and there is no visible difference between the damage caused by FMJ and soft noses. Also on the photo's you can see where ballistic tips and hollow points have sailed through the framework. The three shot group that you commented on was from .243 70g Nosler BT's, my pet fox round (foxes love them, not a single complaint to date, from 846 foxes who sampled one).

Browning; I would imagine that you are correct, as there seems to be no other reason for a hollow point bullet to penetrate more than a BT, and the BC is one of Lapua's selling points with the Scenar.

Bob,

I think I have, I will check tonight.

I know one competition we were all issued with AP. I did not know at the time but NATO ammo has a colour coded paint around the primer.

Are A.P. rounds available to the public generally or are they the sort of

thing you acquire by mistake if you catch my drift?

Also could you legally make your own if you had a lathe, reloading gear

and a rod of tungsten steel?

I know that A.P.I. rounds are unavailable for more than a few obvious reasons.

Speaking of which, when my Dad and I were walking on the Cheviot hills we found

upwards of 200 .50 cal A.P.I. rounds, I think the tips were painted red and blue.

They were found near the wreckage of a fighter jet.

My Dad being the sensible guy with the long R.A.F. background refused to let me keep

them but instead opted to collect as many as we could find and to hand them in to our

local police station. It's understandable when I look back at it, I wouldn't trust an eight

year old boy with a box of .50 cal A.P.I. rounds either LOL

He still has seven on them in a display case. Holes were bored through the cases to

remove the powder and the priming caps were also removed.

Edited by SAVAGE HMR