foxing with lamp and rifle

mickanles

after recently posting a wanted add for the above book i was very suprised to receive a pm to say not only that a copy was available, but if i covered the postage that i could have the book for free . this is something you dont see everyday. posted off a jiffy bag and duely recieved it. thank you again barn owl for your generosity. Kind regards mickanles

Thanks for the link Bob. I was hoping really to get one somewhere like on here, just because I prefer to give my money to individuals rather than the big organisations, ebay Amazon etc. I'll try a bit longer, see how I get on, then bite the bullet.

Thanks

Tuck

Thanks for the link Bob. I was hoping really to get one somewhere like on here, just because I prefer to give my money to individuals rather than the big organisations, ebay Amazon etc. I'll try a bit longer, see how I get on, then bite the bullet.

Thanks

Tuck

Amazon also sell second-hand books, so keep an eye on their site, you can get some bargains.

^ I will. I have a raft of book tokens to spend too, so may try and find a shop which sells it and spend a few.

Also Bob, I know you are a bit of a guru with all things rifle, can you recommend me any kind of "rifle shooters bible" type book? I'm after something which could expand my knowledge, price isn't important. Your thoughts please. Something which discusses everything from barrel twist, calibres, zero, shooting techniques, the whole shebang preferably.

Apologies to Mickanles for derailing the thread!

It depends to a large extent on what you intend to shoot, I assume that it's foxes, in which case, the book that you seek is as good as you will get, it covers everything except re-loading.

If you intend to re-load, pretty well any powder or bullet manufacturer's manual covers all points. Richard Lee's 'Modern Reloading' is probably written in the most down-to-earth way.

Thanks Bob. Not necessarily a reloading manual I'm after, just a "rifle shooters companion" type book. I read a lot, and am getting back into rifles again after many years away, and I've realised that I don't have much of a comprehensive guide that I can refer to when making choices etc. Things have changed quite a bit since was last involved, calibre fashion is moving on again (HMR is new and shiny, a while back it was 22 Hornet that everyone seemed to have, now it's .223, some of the previously "rare" calibres seem to be making a comeback, etc etc.) I just fancy having a weighty tome that I can refer to, not just Fox related, all things rifle really. I'll certainly be looking at some reloading literature too, Richard Lee's seems a good place to start. Just wondered if you had any suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks Bob. Not necessarily a reloading manual I'm after, just a "rifle shooters companion" type book. I read a lot, and am getting back into rifles again after many years away, and I've realised that I don't have much of a comprehensive guide that I can refer to when making choices etc. Things have changed quite a bit since was last involved, calibre fashion is moving on again (HMR is new and shiny, a while back it was 22 Hornet that everyone seemed to have, now it's .223, some of the previously "rare" calibres seem to be making a comeback, etc etc.) I just fancy having a weighty tome that I can refer to, not just Fox related, all things rifle really. I'll certainly be looking at some reloading literature too, Richard Lee's seems a good place to start. Just wondered if you had any suggestions.

Thanks

I would not get too concerned with trends, fashionable calibers come and go, along with their associated problems, i.e. availability of ammunition, loading gear etc. The USA probably turns out 3 to 4 new calibers every year, all "must have's", but ballistically, for each one of them, there is probably 5 calibers already in use that perform equally well.

A 22RF, 223, 243 and 308 will cover anything and everything shootable in this country, you could skip the 243 if your quarry will be mostly larger deer, these are all well established rounds that will do the job, and will be around for a long time to come.

Book-wise, you could do worse than The Sporting rifle; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sporting-Rifle-Rob...6058&sr=8-2

Thanks Bob. I figured The Sporting Rifle could be the one. In the dim and distant days it was a .22 and a .270 for me, there wasn't much I couldn't deal with. I just fancied having a bit of a read, having seen your very interesting post about floating barrels and resonance recently I thought I would ask the question.

Many thanks

Tuck

Thanks

I would not get too concerned with trends, fashionable calibers come and go, along with their associated problems, i.e. availability of ammunition, loading gear etc. The USA probably turns out 3 to 4 new calibers every year, all "must have's", but ballistically, for each one of them, there is probably 5 calibers already in use that perform equally well.

A 22RF, 223, 243 and 308 will cover anything and everything shootable in this country, you could skip the 243 if your quarry will be mostly larger deer, these are all well established rounds that will do the job, and will be around for a long time to come.

Book-wise, you could do worse than The Sporting rifle; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sporting-Rifle-Rob...6058&sr=8-2

Having read The Sporting Rifle by Robin Marshall-Ball, I can say its a close second to "Foxing" etc as an essential reference source.

It covers most questions on general sporting rifle use, calibers etc. Well written and illustrated a value for money book imo.

:hmm: D2D