Hoppes BoreSnake Gun Bore Cleaner

I am wondering whether or not to order one of these, does anyone own and use one and is it as good as it says?

I know that the Royal Marines now use them to clean their rifles as apparently they are quicker and do a more thorough job then the traditional cloth wrapped around a brass jag, can anyone verify this?

Looking forward to reading your feedback

Thanks Allot

James

What are you cleaning with it? If it's a rifle then they're ok, probably all you need for a .22lr. For anything firing copper jacketed stuff (centrefire) they don't get the copper out so you need to rod them with solvent still I'm afraid. They're still good for a field clean, but not for long term care.

For a shotgun they're great. I use one on mine and it does a fine job.

Thanks for your response, I am using it on my 12 bore browning over and under, a lovely gun and one I want to keep in good condition.

My main query is whether or not the bore snake is fine to use on its own for a shotgun, or will I still need to rod it from time to time. Reviews on the Internet seem to vary in their opinions on this matter, some see it as quick fix but no substitute for a rod and jag clean, but others say it does a better job than the traditional clean.

What do users think?

I've been using a bore snake with good results, but I tend to put a rod through first just to get rid of most of the gunk. Once through with a rod clears most of the fouling and then once or twice with the snake brings it up pristine. :yp:

There's nothing a rod can do that a boresnake can't. With a shotgun all you are removing is powder residue and plastic or lead fouling from the bores. A bronze brush is harder than either lead or plastic so will remove them whether on a rod or boresnake. The only problem you may find with heavy fouling is that it takes a good scrubbing with the brush to get off completely, so a rod is easier in that respect. To cheat with the boresnake just thread it through and stand on the cord, get hold of the other end and pull it tight and slide the barrels up and down with the brush part of the boresnake on the fouled area (usually the forcing cones just after the chamber). You'll wear out the brush on the snake more quickly like that, but it gets the job done. To be honest it's very rare to need more than a couple of pulls through anyway, so you'll not be doing it often enough to worry about :yp:

Thats a great help njc110381 , thanks alot, I will order a bore snake this afternoon :yp:

By the way, how long does it normally take for the brush to wear out, and when it does can I replace the just the bronze brush or do I need to buy a whole new boresnake?

Edited by browning525shooter

P@cman, what attachment do you use on the rod when you put it through before the bore snake?

When I first got it, I began using the bore snake on it's own, but I found it got dirty quite quickly and would need a cycle through the washing machine!

I now give it a once through with the rod using a plastic jag, piece of folded up kitchen roll and some Legia spray first. This gets rid of most of the heavier fouling and avoids the bore snake getting dirty too quickly. The bore snake finishes the job nicely, and I don't have to wash it so often.

Nj is the boresnake all you use for your .17hmr, I ask as I've heard various reports, some say boresnake's cleaning power is superb and others say you will not get the same cleaning as with a bronze brush on a rod?

I just don't like them - I've got a couple and never use them as they don't seem to get the barrels properly clean. A couple of passed through with a boresnake and then if you put a clean, oily mop through it'll come out filthy. Would rather spend an extra few minutes and make sure it's properly clean.

Photos and review here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...p;hl=bore+snake

hmmmm, intresting , everyone else has been so positive about the bore snake, thanks for your pictures though.

Mine is due to arrive today so I will give some feedback on how I find it cleans my barrells. One other question is even when I have rodded my barrels again and again, if i put a white flanel through it will still come out quite dirty, am I doing something wrong or is it always like that.

By the way despite the flanel coming out grimy the bores look completely clean and streak free.

Am I the only one to never get a unstained flanel out of the gun at the end?

i love my boresnake, does the job brilliant! in the wash once a month to keep it clean, so far its lasted me two years..

there are cheap copies out there through, the real one's have two sections to the bush..

regards, matt..

What do you mean 2 sections on the bush?, I bought the Hoppes Boresnake, that seems to be the only one availible as far as I could see, although I am sure if I looked I would find some cheap replicas on E-Bay.

i love my boresnake, does the job brilliant! in the wash once a month to keep it clean, so far its lasted me two years..

there are cheap copies out there through, the real one's have two sections to the bush..

regards, matt..

What do you mean 2 sections on the bush?, I bought the Hoppes Boresnake, that seems to be the only one availible as far as I could see, although I am sure if I looked I would find some cheap replicas on E-Bay.

Brownings bore weasel is cheaper

With reference to yor dirty patch problem, are you using a solvent first to make sure all the lead and plastic fouling is removed, you may have to scrub with the jag when the solvent is in the barrels as the lead and plastic can be in layers, do it a few times then with a cloth after this it should come clean :lol: