homeloading shotshells

ProteuS

I'm sure most shooters think about it at some time.

A friend and I invested in all the equipment and raw materials necessary (try convincing your Wife/Mother, that its safe to store large amounts of gun powder in the house).

We went round clay shooting grounds and collected all the one piece cartridge cases we could find, sat in his garage and measured, poured and primed on wet evenings.

What a soul destroying activity it was.

Did we save money ? If you didn't count the value of our time, we might have done.

Was it worth it ? NO !!!!! :angry:

ProteuS,

Like what Cranners said, unless you want a specific load for specific purposes such as wildfowling, rolling your own is pointless.

anyone out there who loads their own shotshells

I did as a yoof load my own just for the fun, which it quickly wasn't.

just wondering if it much more economical to do rather than just buying boxes of carts in,
Probably not, squibs are relatively speaking cheaper than the've ever been.

and is it hugely time consuming?
Utter ballsache; resembles indoor trainspotting.

Use the dosh on something nice.

Regards

Eug

there are still some die hard loaders here mainl in .410" and 28 gauge,but they mainly load to customise the shot ,eg higher velocitys for a target load or matrixed loads for hunting.

i have a ponsness warren 800 which has sat idle for a number of years now,its just not worth the time to load ,pricing all the comp's its still not economical to bulk buy and load 12 gauge,i see your point though RED that big toy can get expensive ,

on the other hand all my handguns the cost of reloading them is a no-brainer,

eg 50 rnds of .45" acp cost approx $25-$28 bucks i can reload for $11 and change

over 50 % less the .50" cal cost's $2.50 a shot and 85 cents to reload .

martin

;) No it`s just you get better pattern from your cart`s.The buffer powder eases the shot through the chokes which gives a better pattern,and some say more range,but thats debatable as it`s only 10yds or so which,if toddy is moving,only a split second.Big shot is a non starter as far as I`m concerned I`ve patterned lots of loads up to SG and they don`t pattern.Hence I only use them to put down animals(sick,wounded)at a max range of 5yds. :blink: Fox shot-BB-1-2 and as close as poss. and no more than you know you can kill at!

Ive just started loading my own for my 10 bore. I bought a MEC loading machine at the midland, but i have found that i got a lot of vairiation in the amount of powder and shot that is droped using the bushes provided so i have bought a set of digital scales (i would say they are a must have piece of kit and would not load without them). There is loads of information on the net, if you try to find it or try Ian charlton at claygame.co.uk he is very helpful.

john.

Catching a fish on a lure you've made feels better :lol:

i totaly agree RED,but cant for the life of me understand how someone can sit and reload 1000's of shells 1 after the other (without going postal) , thats like painting by numbers and only finding black (#1) in your kit :yp:

watching grass grow and the like ,

still diehards out there ,power to you ,and ifyou'e any left i'll take a 1000 1oz #8's

in 12 for november ,slowing down now its getting cold out there :yp:

martin