lessons

streetg

hi im interested in some lessons, i have been told about a place called Cloud Side for clay pigeon shooting. i have not got my own gun or licence yet does any one know how much i will be expected to pay ,as anyone got any better place's to try thanks

I paid £50 or £55 a few months ago, plus clays. Took my own cartridges. I ended up having three lessons in total.

Each lesson was supposed to last an hour, but we over-ran by a long way every time. Overall, I was very impressed and thought that it was well worth it.

If you're just starting out (or coming back after a long absence, as I was) I'd strongly recommend taking a few lessons. This will allow you to sort out the basics (eye dominance, gun fit, stance, mounting, etc) and getting these right will save you a lot of time and frustration.

I don't know the ground you referred to, but I'm sure that there'll be someone on here who has shot there and can give you an opinion on it.

Robert

Lessons usually start at about £40 / hr, which may or may not include some clays. They can go as high as £120 / hr at the most prestigeous grounds! Carts are usually extra. Most coaches will supply a suitable gun, and should provide both ear and eye protection.

An hour is a pretty short lesson - I prefer to give 1/2 days, usually a 1/2 hr brief and debrief, and two hours actual shooting with a break in the middle. Often a lesson can be shared at no extra cost other than the extra consumables, and its worth doing this if available. It both lowers costs per head, and its useful to be with another learner at the same time.

Check your coach is qualified and insured before engaging them - BASC, CPSA and APSI all list their coaches, and the ICSI ( Institute of Clay Shooting Instructors) also list the coaches in their organisation.

Clayman

Edited by clayman

Lessons at cloudside are £60 per hour inclusive of gun hire and cartridges.

I had a lesson there last year to point out why i was missing some easy shots.

Its much better to have an expert tell you why you missed something and how to put it right.

Cloudside is a lovely ground and the sporting stands are great for learning, basic and good confidence builders, they are used for corporate days and stag parties etc.

Regarding instructors, 2 of the guys from Leek Gun Club instruct there, if I was you drop Leek Gun Club a line as they may be able to help at a cheaper rate, the website for Leek says "would all new shooters/beginners please make this known when booking in so that we may give you any assistance that you may require to ensure your day is both enjoyable and safe" Leek shoots the first Sunday of the month.

http://www.leekgunclub.com/Homepage.htm

I had a lesson at Rowley Gun Club about this time last year, With a chap called Tony, Price came to about £42 for an hour, £30 for the lesson and £12 for the shells.

Quite a few different traps and he was a very good teacher, I'll deffinatly go back soon, heres the contact info:

Rowley House Farm

Croxton

Eccleshall

staffordshire

ST21 6PJ

United Kingdom

01630 653 183

01630 620 248